Back Country Excursions, Parsonsfield
Back Country Excursions Of Maine has been operating since 1991 (wasn't that before suspension?) That makes Back Country Excursions one of the oldest cross country MTB centers in New England, if not the world. Although BCE is a commercial venue, it is a low-key, laid-back place - not your typical pay-to-play mountain biking center. It is managed and maintained as a joint business venture between a national forest products company and the mountain bike outfitter and guide service of Back Country Excursions. Land managers and Cliff Krolick, founder of BCE, collaborated with numerous local and national organizations to raise the funds to purchase a recreational easement and develop this long term partnership. As a result, 9,000 acres of heavily forested, hill country is now permanently protected against development.
Trails, Rides, & Conditions:
Since BCE has been around a while we've had an opportunity to develop and hand build a surprisingly wide variety of excellent trails with varied terrain. There's lots of variety for all riding levels, something for everybody!
· 20 miles of tight, hand-built singletrack.
· freeride - halfpipe park filled with lots of challenging stuntsy experiences, including a ride-able rollercoaster.
· 4 miles of expert steeps with rated stunts, which can be avoided if you just want to keep two wheels to the ground.
· Make a mental note: This area is high and dry so while others may still be wallowing in springtime muck or too wet this place is ready to rock. There's generally never any mud and ground surface conditions tend to be smooth and not rocky or rooted as in some other places. Elevations range from 600'-1500'
Access, Fees, & Management:
Through the tireless efforts of a very few, this exceptional riding area does come with a price tag. Unless you are part of the trail maintenance team, all trail access is thru BCE guide service.
BCE fees are based on your choice of:
· Day rides
· Overnight basic camp & ride packages
· Complete weekend Getaways (food included)
· Hosted MTB Events
· Clinics and Instructor Certification
· Season's Passes / Gift Certificates
. NEMBA Member Discounts always available
BCE is a mountain biking destination, vacation, and guide center. It has some bike parts on site, workstations, lubes and all your basic repair needs. It is 15 minutes from a large parts supplier where you can get most anything (especially weekdays).
· Camping facilities include water, shower, fire pit, picnic tables, and outhouses.
· Lodging facilities include kitchen, Yurt (bunkhouse) private rooms, light meals, wood-fired hot tub, rec room, and screened porch.
By Cliff Krolick, Proprieter