Tuesday, December 28, 2021
NEMBA Events Coordinator
NEMBA is seeking a dynamic, and highly motivated Events Coordinator to strengthen our organization as we revive NEMBAfest and engage the mountain biking community through various events.
Since 1987, the New England Mountain Bike Association has been committed to creating epic riding experiences, preserving open space, and guiding the future of mountain biking in New England.
An educational, 501(c)(3) nonprofit, NEMBA is a recreational trails advocacy organization, with 31 chapters throughout New England and over 7,000 members. Our goal is to promote the best that mountain biking has to offer, steward the trail systems where we recreate, and preserve open space.
NEMBA, in association with its local chapters, leads nearly a thousand mountain bike rides a season, puts on various skills clinics, hosts trail building schools, and advocates for equitable mountain biking access to recreational trails. We organize hundreds of trail building and maintenance events in scores of parks across the region resulting in thousands of volunteer hours to improve the places we ride. We organize NEMBAfest, as well as other summits and large events to celebrate and advance mountain biking in New England.
The Events Coordinator will work closely with our Executive Director, Staff, and Events Committee to help manage the logistics and needs surrounding our events, with a heavy emphasis on the NEMBAfest mountain bike festival. This position will play a fundamental role in the planning and execution of NEMBAfest, as well as other events such as summits and annual dinners. This role will also provide guidance and assistance for smaller events primarily organized by our chapters. This position requires a dynamic range of skills and abilities to handle the planning, promotion, execution, and evaluation of our events. These skills include being able to handle multiple project timelines, manage volunteers, vendors, and other key partners, operate within a defined budget, and more. The ideal candidate has a proven track record of successful event management, is comfortable working within an established, yet growing organization, and is motivated to help fulfill NEMBA’s mission.
- Event Management: Proven record of event coordination, specific to sports and/or festivals.
- Decision-Making: Ability to make independent decisions on a daily basis, addressing the best way to handle specific tasks.
- Communications and Collaboration: Ability to collaborate with other staff, management, members, and the general public on a regular basis. Strong verbal and written communication skills (writing samples may be requested)
- Volunteer Engagement: Strong experience recruiting, managing, and delegating tasks to volunteers.
- Community Relations: Ability to represent the organization and create positive interactions with members, event attendees, and the general public.
- Self Organized: Ability to work independently on a variety of tasks simultaneously.
- Organizational Skills: Organization and prioritization are the core elements of this position. You must know how to keep yourself and others organized, and manage a broad range of often simultaneous tasks and deadlines.
- College degree
- Minimum 3 years of experience working in an events coordinator role, ideally cycling related.
- Experience with office productivity software such as Microsoft Office
- Experience using Google Suite
- Experience with Wordpress web platform
- Valid driver's license
- Passion for mountain biking and the outdoors is strongly preferred
General Event Coordination
- Plan event details and aspects, including location, registration, volunteers, and permitting.
- Work with the Events Committee, staff, key volunteers, and occasional part-time staff to ensure the successful execution of events.
- Plan, prepare, and execute on-site event logistics
- Establish and maintain relationships with venues, vendors, and sponsors.
- Create reliable financial reports and remain under budget with all costs.
- Create event plans and address potential problems that may arise.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the complex needs of a wide variety of events.
- Oversee volunteer task identification and recruitment.
- Assist in the production of event marketing materials and content (newsletters, website updates, social media promotion, and other tools to engage participants).
- Compile post-event surveys and data to aid in future planning.
- Be an assistive resource for chapter-run events - a ‘capabilities-multiplier’ for chapters
NEMBAfest (August 5-7, 2022 - Carrabassett Valley, Maine)
Oversee the planning, promotion, execution, and evaluation of this annual multi-day, multi-thousand participant event that is a key fundraiser for our organization.
Annual Dinner / Gala
Organize an annual dinner to celebrate the organization's anniversary (35th in 2022) with a goal of increased fundraising and engagement.
Coordinate logistics for summits and gathers including: Women’s Summit, Leadership Summit, Advocacy Summit, and more.
- Assist with other event coordination, including Mountain Bike Adventure Series, Trail Schools, and involvement with other events through partner organizations.
- Identify event opportunities within the organization and successfully bring those to fruition.
This position reports to the Executive Director and works with other staff as well as many key volunteers. This will be a remote work position located within New England as NEMBA does not have an office. Travel throughout New England will be expected to prepare for events (especially Carrabassett Valley, Maine), as well as meet with staff and other meetings as needed.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Flexible hours. The position includes evening and weekend work, with specific event expectations. This position includes paid time off, holidays, and retirement matching.
Expected Salary Range $45,000 to $55,000 depending on experience.
Subject line should be “(Last Name) Events Coordinator Application”
An up-to-date resume (no more than 2 pages)
Cover letter explaining why you are interested in working at NEMBA and what makes you a good fit specifically for the Events Coordinator role.
References will be requested as the hiring process proceeds but can be included if desired.
Interviews will begin the last week of January 2022.
NEMBA is committed to building a staff that matches the diversity of the communities we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religions, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.