Places To Ride
|Whitney Thayer Woods & Turkey Hill
|Submitted by Bill Boles
- Route 3A Cohasset & Hingham
- Whitney Thayer Woods is aTrustees of Reservations property located in the towns of Hngham and Cohasset. Whitney Thayer abuts the Wompatuck State Park and trails interconnect the two properties.
- Whitney Thayer has about 10 miles of trails. However most of the reservation's singletracks are closed to bikes. What remains is a long series of mostly smooth woods roads. Whitney Thayer is a great place to bring beginners as none of the trails are too difficult. In the winter, if adequate snow cover exists Whitney Thayer is also a great place to go cross country skiing. A map of the property is available at the TTOR website. And sometimes there are maps at the signboard in the main parking lot on route 3A. Turkey Hill has a seperate parking area also located on route 3A.
Most of my rides at Whitney Thayer are done while riding in the Wompatuck State Park. I find that the smooth rolling trails of Whitney Thayer offer a welcome break from Wompatuck's more difficult bony singletracks. However, I have spent more than one pleasant afternoon doing nothing but re-exploring Whitney Thayer's pleasant trails. I never get tired of riding at Whitney Thayer. It's far enough 'away' from the hustle and bustle of everyday life that when I finish riding I am refreshed and invogorated. That may change however. At some point in 2007 the "T" should complete an unpaved bicycle trail leading from the commuter rail station in Hingham to Wompatuck State Park.
- From route 3 take exit 14 and follow route 228 north until it intersects with route 3A, (About 7 miles) Turn right on route 3A and look for a parking lot directly across from a Mobil station. (About 2 miles) This is about one mile after the parking area for Turkey Hill.
- You may see a lot of pedestrians and lots of unleashed dogs.
There is a sign in the main parking area that warns, "cars have been broken into in this parking lot." If this concerns you park across the street from the main entrance at the shopping plaza.
Nearby NEMBA Shops & Links International Bicycle Centers Bike Barn Dave's Bike Infirmary Wheelworks Landry's EMS The Bikeway Source Anderson Bicycle SEMASS NEMBA BV NEMBA Greater Boston NEMBA REI -Hingham