Quote Originally Posted by ktroester View Post
As for using something that renders OSM data better for MTB use, someone would have to step up to the plate and run a tile server for that. For now I think HikeCycle is good enough.
Agreed. I don't think there's a whole lot of effort to unify our OSM mapping (yet), but that's no reason not to start it.

Setting up a tile server is not particularly difficult or expensive (I've done it several times). Given how much more useful a map we could render, I think it would be worth the effort. Anyone interested in helping out?

The link for the slippy map is not working for me right now. I'll have to try it again later.
It's running from my home so it may be slow, but it should be up pretty much 24/7. Give it a try again. Otherwise, here's an example screenshot of my quick-and-dirty rendering style (near Duxbury Town Forest):

duxbury.jpg

http://osm.ahlzen.com:4/trailmaps/ma...on=-70.71&z=15

Since I wrote the OP there has been a game changer: Strava released its global heatmap. There is even an OSM editor that uses that heatmap data and, just yesterday, I got AlpineQuest to support that heatmap as a map overlay. AlpineQuest is an Android outdoor mapping app. It's only a matter of time until someone gets that heatmap into a Garmin format.
Yep, that's very cool. As far as I know, Strava is also in the process of switching a lot of things over to OSM. A guy from Strava gave a very interesting presentation of using their heatmap for automated trail mapping in OSM at the recent OpenStreetMap conference in DC.

- Lars