+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ashburnham and Townsend State Forests (Excluding Pearl Hill)

Default Ashburnham and Townsend State Forests (Excluding Pearl Hill)

Given that most of my riding has been in the eastern part of the state and my wife and I are looking to move to central MA, does anybody have any knowledge of riding at either of these two state forests? Are there any trails? Are the land managers amenable to the building of new trails? The northern portion of Townsend SF looks huge and doesn't seem to have much in the way of marshy wetlands and Ashburnham SF seems quite similar (but not as large as TSF). The work at Pearl Hill is great and to open the northern part of Townsend SF and Ashburnham would be amazing. If access is allowed.

Thanks!

nick

I grew up on Stowell Road in Ashburnham, adjacent to the State Forest. The State Forest is huge. We rode trikes and dirt bikes all over the Forest in the late 80's and early 90's. I haven't been back since and have no idea if there is any singletrack. BUILD IT.....and never speak of it here.
    In some mysterious way woods have never seemed to me to be static things. In physical terms, I move through them; yet in metaphysical ones, they seem to move through me.
    John Fowles

That's funny. We *just* got back from looking at a house on Stowell Rd. Right up against the SF at the end of the road where the town stops plowing in the winter. The owners said there are trails back behind their house that sleds and moto bikes ride but they don't hear those types all that often. Likely all double track back there.

And speak of what where?

And speak of what where?[/QUOTE]

Exactly! Ashburnham is a great little, rural town. Extra good when your place abuts the State Forest. Drop a line if you end up on Stowell Road......we'll explore.
    In some mysterious way woods have never seemed to me to be static things. In physical terms, I move through them; yet in metaphysical ones, they seem to move through me.
    John Fowles

Good riding @ Leominster SF.
    SS rule the dirt!

@pulsepro:
    Will do! Though now that we've had some time to think, Ashburnham is a bit far for us to commute to the vaguely eastern MA area for work (work locations may shift a little bit, but for the short-term, we'll probably continue to work near 128).

@leebo:
    I'm more partial to Pearl Hill. I've ridden the Lem a few times and each time I just come to the conclusion that it isn't for me. I feel like every time I ride there it's nothing but baby heads embedded in loam. Maybe I'm missing something but I've been shown around by locals who ride it regularly so I *think* I'm getting the known stuff. But maybe not.

If you haven't ridden Groton yet come check it out. If you've ridden the town forrest come check out all the other good riding in town.

Yes, I get the rocks on top of rocks stuff. At the NEMBA ride there this year there were some nicer, newer trail way out from the parking lot, maybe some locals or a map of the ride might help.
    SS rule the dirt!

+ Reply to Thread