+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fat bike on dirt - tire PSI?

Hybrid View

Default Fat bike on dirt - tire PSI?

I just got a fat bike. I can't wait for winter, but I am using it in the dirt as well. I got the Motobecane FB-4, which was an amazing deal, even after putting $200 worth of upgrades into it (I instantly feel like I have to justify buying a Motobecane :-D).

It came with 72 TPI Vee Tire Mission tires which are close to Surly Larry tires in tread pattern. I started off at 10PSI and have worked my way down from there. I ended up at 5.5PSI (I measured after my ride) which was too low, I felt the tire hit the rim a few times and made me ride timidly. Just wondering what any fatbikers who are riding in the dirt are running your tires at. I was at 8.5PSI for last night's ride and it was pretty harsh, going for 7.5 for the next ride.

A little eye candy:

Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

I have a Moonlander with 120 tpi BFL's. I set it up tubeless. These tires are very supple. My tire pressure on dirt,single track
    Is 4.5 lbs set with a low pressure gauge. I've never bottomed out the tire.

I've got some On-One Floaters on order, as soon as they get here I'm going to set them up tubeless. Thanks for the info.

Love the single track on a fattie
    Attached Images

By the way, I set mine up ghetto tubeless. Was a piece of cake. Inflated with a floor pump.
    Where do you ride? I'm mostly at the Landlocked forest, Great Brook,Callahan and my favorite, Trail of Tears.

That Motobecane is an incredible bargain. A friend just got one, and he let me ride it. Sighhhhhh. Now I'm in the market too.
    Depending on your body weight, 4-9 pounds would probably work.

I don't have an accurate pump, but inflate until I can just barely not hit the rim as I roll over an edgewise 2x4. Guessing it's in the 5 psi range. Banged the Holey Darryls a couple times on rocks and stuff, but have only pinch flatted once in nearly 3 years. Using the On-One floaters currently.
    PVNEMBA - Riding at its BEST
    http://www.facebook.com/CharlemontTrails

I got a small digital gauge that reads in .5 PSI increments, my regular pump doesn't read down that low (its not even close).

The Motobecane is an incredible deal. There are some stinker parts in there (headset, QRs), I swapped some right away, but I'll swap the rest as they break. So far I am VERY pleased with it. After swapping tubes and cassette I'm under 35 pounds, which is downright svelte for a fat bike.

Pinch flat at 7.5PSI, damnit. Luckily it happened 20 yards from the parking lot. I'll have to go to 8psi.

Oh and TheCanoe - I live in Northeast CT. Ride many places around here, Snip, Case, Crandalls, etc, etc. I am lucky that I have a dozen places within a half hour drive from here.
    Last edited by Jisch; November 11th, 2013 at 04:24 PM.

Nice looking bike.
    How long ago did you order it? Web site says shipping to start Feb 2014 is that accurate?

+ Reply to Thread