+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trailer Hitch Rack recommendations

Default Trailer Hitch Rack recommendations

I just got a new car, so I'm trying to figure out the best rack solution. I think a hitch rack will probably be the best, but I've never had one and there are a lot of options out there.

My main question is if I need one where the bike sits in trays, vs one that the bike hangs from. The geometry of my bike isn't too crazy (fit on my old rack, which was a trunk rack).

Anybody have ones that they really like and can recommend?

I like tray racks the best. Bikes are easy to load. Secure. Stable. They don't rub, so your paint stays nice. They are also price. but worth it.

I have the Yakima Holdup with the 2" hitch mount, I got this because I also have the extension so I can load 4 bikes. I absolutely love the rack. They are expensive, but the ease with which you can load and unload makes it worth it to me! Good luck in your search!
    Kona Satori

Thanks for the input guys. I think I've got to troll craigslist a bit. I definitely don't have the coin for a new one, so used it is.

KUAT NV is the best. holds all bikes i have tried hauling, even fat bikes.
    there is one on Northeast Classifieds FACEBOOK page today.
    Do or Do Not, There is No Try! -Yoda

Wow, I never even knew that group existed. The rabbit hole goes pretty deep. Couldn't find the Kuat though. I know they're definitely out of my price range at retail—would be nice though.

I have a line on a Thule Doubletrack. It gets pretty good reviews from what I've read, so that might be my best bet.

I've been using one of these for years now and they work great. http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...400170__400170

I have the Kuat but don't recommend it. I can't get it to stay tight in the hitch, even after adding a clamp, and that stupid bolt on the bottom of the rack fell out, even though I checked and tightened it every five minutes. I would look into the Thule (T2?).

I've had the Yakima Hold-up since 09. Starting to show it's age, but Yak just warranty'd one of the clamps that stopped working. No questions asked, sent a whole new assembly to the local dealer for me to pick up.
    PVNEMBA - Riding at its BEST
    http://www.facebook.com/CharlemontTrails

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

+ Reply to Thread