+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Phone App

Default Phone App

Okay you tech geeks......When I was at KT a few weeks ago, we came across some downed trees that we had to climb over. I wondered if the guys responsible for trail maintenance even knew they were down. I thought it would be cool to have a phone app that you could just hit "mark location" select a item from a list, such as "downed tree 0 to 6 inches, Downed tree 6 to 12 inches, flooded trail, washed out trail", ...etc. Then the app would send a message to the email address of the trail manager / owner of that riding area, which was in its database. The app could have riding areas all across the country and could be for all trail users. Anything like this out there?

If you haven't used Waze before, its a road based GPS app where everyone who is using it can place a marker for trouble spots. That marker can be slow traffic, a cop, whatever, then other users can use that information to choose alternative routes or slow down so you don't get a ticket. If you could take Waze and trail-ize it, then the trail manager could pull up their trail system on their computer and see if anything is being reported.

Then again, you could just walk into the KT office, or call them and tell them where the blockage is.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

not as specific but most GPS phone apps will allow for markers.. I usually use the phone, take a picture and mark it.. I find Everytrail to best app as it's better than average accuracy, ease of use, cross platform (both computers and phones) and simple ease of use and viewing by others.

almost all GPS apps will do it thou.
    Always wear a Helmet and Glasses when riding!!

Southeastern CT NEMBA with trial locations, trail reports, and list of local events...
    www.sectnemba.org
    SECT NEMBA on Facebook..
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/585044744912146/

yeah, but those marks are only viewable to you (or anyone who looks at your path), its not centralized or generally viewable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    yeah, but those marks are only viewable to you (or anyone who looks at your path), its not centralized or generally viewable.
    Anything on everytrail.com is viewable by anyone on anything with a net connection

Southeastern CT NEMBA with trial locations, trail reports, and list of local events...
    www.sectnemba.org
    SECT NEMBA on Facebook..

yeah, but the land manager would have to know who's profile to watch to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    yeah, but the land manager would have to know who's profile to watch to see it.
    no,.. the GPS location is tagged,.. just search the location

www.sectnemba.org
    SECT NEMBA on Facebook..

+ Reply to Thread