+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Looking at buying a new bike, suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by ktmdad View Post
    Don't be scared off or worried about the 650b wheel size as these are pretty much gonna replace the 26" size going forward.
    ...at least until the marketing departments start the hype about how it's time to come back to 26".
    It's seems that many who swore by 29" when it was the newest and bestest have slid on over to 650b, the next newest and bestest.

I'm predicting that about 5 years out, 26" wheels will once again be the newest and bestest.
    Slapheadmofo Leisure Team
    Sinister Bikes
    Wachusett Brewing
    Sunday River Bike Park

Quote Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
    ...at least until the marketing departments start the hype about how it's time to come back to 26".
    It's seems that many who swore by 29" when it was the newest and bestest have slid on over to 650b, the next newest and bestest.

I'm predicting that about 5 years out, 26" wheels will once again be the newest and bestest.
    nope,.. still love 29er, just not on a squishy as well as the 650b 29er's are great for taller people too but under the 6ft mark the 650B is nicer size frame. 26 I always felt it was too small.. like riding a kids bike long before the other became popular.
    Always wear a Helmet and Glasses when riding!!

Southeastern CT NEMBA with trial locations, trail reports, and list of local events...
    www.sectnemba.org
    SECT NEMBA on Facebook..
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/585044744912146/

Quote Originally Posted by Slappy View Post

Think your totally wrong about the 29'er crowd going to 650b. Might be some converts but I believe the majority are still digging the wagon wheel size and nothing wrong with that.

Keep dreaming about the return to 26" all you want and check back in 5 years. How much time have you spent on a 650b bike anyway? Most of the people who think it's all hype and marketing BS have never even ridden one for any extended period of time over a wide range of conditions and terrain.

29+ is the next thing. The Surly Krampus makes me weak in the knees.

Back on topic, twentynineinches.com has a good review of the Airborne Hobgoblin: http://twentynineinches.com/2013/07/...-final-review/
    That bike seems to be a nice budget-friendly FS 29er.....at least according to the review. Worth a look.
    Last edited by pulsepro; August 15th, 2013 at 01:19 PM.
    In some mysterious way woods have never seemed to me to be static things. In physical terms, I move through them; yet in metaphysical ones, they seem to move through me.
    John Fowles

I read a review of the Hobgoblin in a magazine. It does sound like a solid bike. It's really tough to commit to a bike without a test ride though…

For those interested, I went with the Tallboy. I put it through the paces today at Vietnam, and it was great. Definitely happy with the decision, and hopefully it'll last me a good many years.

Now…anybody want to buy a 26" bike?

+ Reply to Thread