+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New RIP9

Default New RIP9

I demoed one of the new RIP9 alloy bikes at NEMBAFest - I loved it, but knew that a new bike was not in my immediate future (two kids in college). Nothing wrong with a little bike lust.

The first ride at home after NEMBAFest I find a crack in the rear triangle of my 2010 RIP9, I'm crushed knowing I'm 7 months outside my warranty. I figure worst case I'll be buying a new rear triangle from Niner, which sucks, but whatever. After going around the the none-too-helpful bike shop I ended up with a 2014 RIP alloy as a warranty replacement - NICE!

Awesome machine - more travel, slacker head angle, lighter and it looks beefier in all the right places - 142 rear end helps I'm sure. Oh and its GREEN.

Last edited by Jisch; August 5th, 2013 at 09:13 AM.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Nice! New frame or completely new bike?
    In some mysterious way woods have never seemed to me to be static things. In physical terms, I move through them; yet in metaphysical ones, they seem to move through me.
    John Fowles

Very nice!

Its a warranty replacement frame for my beloved 2010 RIP9. BTW - Niner was great with a replacement on an out of warranty frame, even if the bike shop was a bit underwhelming - partially my fault for going to the closest shop rather than the better one a few minutes further away. I did have to buy a new headset, front derailleur, stem and hub conversion kit, so it wasn't exactly free.

Its better than the 2010 in every way I can think of. The only downside is I haven't gotten to ride it enough! I hope to resolve that problem.

there's more thoughts and a build entry on my blog if you're interested.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

+ Reply to Thread