+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 20" Boy's MTB; or kick bike: gently used or new

Hybrid View

Default 20" Boy's MTB; or kick bike: gently used or new

Hi,

Has anyone's kid outgrown a 20" MTB? I'm looking for something resembling:
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...sterboys#specs

That's 20" wheels, single speed, coaster brake, rear pull brake. No training wheels.

My boy's ready for pedals and his little sisters are anxious to get onto his kick bike. That means I could use a second kick bike, preferably gender-neutral. This is what we have now:
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...ys/hotwalkboys

If anyone has either, gently used, please reach out (PM?). I'm in North Andover, MA, so hopefully you're not terribly far.
    [ briandigital.com | @briandigital ]

Take your bike rack off your car when not in use, save 10-20% on gas. And have a forest left to ride in.

You sure you want to skip all the way up to 20" wheels?
    That's a pretty big step from a scoot-bike (I'm also assuming your kid is around 5 y/o).

I have a nice 20" Redline BMX mini that my son raced when he was 5/6, but it's handbrake only and might be a little much for a kid just learning to pedal, though once he's got a bit of experience, it's a super sweet first "real' bike. Fits smaller than your standard 20" bike, only weighs ~15lbs.

Also have 16" Redline Pitboss that has both coaster and hand brakes (and flames!). Also would be a cool first bike.

Slapheadmofo Leisure Team
    Sinister Bikes
    Wachusett Brewing
    Sunday River Bike Park

Quote Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
    You sure you want to skip all the way up to 20" wheels?
    That's a pretty big step from a scoot-bike (I'm also assuming your kid is around 5 y/o).
    You're absolutely right. I totally ignored the 16" option. He's all-but 5 yrs, but a tad on the shorter side of average. So I guess the #1 factor is standover height and the #2 factor is reach.

That Pitboss looks like a contender.
    [ briandigital.com | @briandigital ]

Take your bike rack off your car when not in use, save 10-20% on gas. And have a forest left to ride in.

I sent you a private message but here is the pic of the K2 Stormy mtn bike I have and need to sell. Its a 20" with 7 speeds and hand brakes.

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 38
Size:  44.0 KB

They're nice solid little bikes - I'll dig it out this weekend and send along a couple pics if you want.
    It's been through a few kids (my son and a friend's son too) so it's not 'like new' by any means, but I'm sure it's still got some good miles in it.
    Slapheadmofo Leisure Team
    Sinister Bikes
    Wachusett Brewing
    Sunday River Bike Park

+ Reply to Thread