+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recovery drink

Hybrid View

Default Recovery drink

I feel I need more than water during summer rides in the woods.

What are riders drinking during hot, summer rides? After the ride for recovery?

Hammer Heed for on the bike and Hammer Recoverite for recovery. Amazing stuff.

Powerade Zero

During rides/races I typically stick with hammer products for fuel depending on length and duration. For shorter duration rides I'll either use Heed as my primary source of fuel/elecrolite replenishment or endurolites fizz for electrolites and gel or bars for fuel. For rides under 2 hours on really hot days I'll drop an endurolites fizz tablet in my bottles of heed. For endurance rides I go for a mix of carb and protein typically through raw, natural foods. Dates, nuts, etc... For recovery I've found Vega Sport Performance Protein to work best for me. It's all plant based protien vs. Whey/soy which doesn't work well for me.

I'm pretty low tech in this department. Large DD's ice coffee black and chocolate milk......

Gatorade works for me. Then protein smoothie.

I like an iced coffee with sugar after a ride (I hate sugar in coffee normally) the combination of caffeine and sugar boost is great. Lately I've been really focused on getting protein after a ride too - seems to help with recovery - I'm a vegetarian, so that's not always easy unless I plan it out. I was having some post ride crashing issues for a few weeks there, I'd come home eat and sit on the couch for the rest of the day - that's not cool.

I also have been focusing on not eating too much after a ride - if I don't think about it I easily consume twice as many calories than I burned on the ride.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

I prefer vanilla over chocolate or berry.

Jisch...this may be just what you're looking for. http://vegasport.com/product/performance-protein/ All plant based. I swear by this stuff!

pure coconut water. One in the pack and one when I get home, especially when its hot. And an egg or two when I get home too, and/or a steak...

+ Reply to Thread