+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stuck seatpost

Hybrid View

Default Stuck seatpost

Anodized aluminum post stuck in steel seat tube. Have tried the ammonia trick and the gently prying the split at the top of the seat tube trick. FRom what I've read, a solvent won't help. I half-heartedly tried a hairdryer, and an inverted dust-off spray (cold!)....I think I already started bending the seat rails.
    Is there, perhaps, a plumbing-type tool that would clamp 3-4 inches of the seatpost, and allow me to twist the post with minimal damage to it? I have a bench vise but that would kill the post.
    Any help appreciated!
    Steve

You will probably want to look for something like this Strap pipe wrench. Maybe that will do the trick. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...gry=Search+All
    Kona Satori

Sorry that link just takes you to the search page. When that search page comes up look for the item with this title TradesPro G.O.T. 6-3/8 in. Capacity Strap Wrench
    Kona Satori

Do you want to save the post or the frame?

It sounds like you already visited Sheldon Brown's website: http://sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Yes I already read the 14 ways....and yes I need to save both....

When I've needed to pry a stuck post, I have clamped the post in my stand. If you've got someone to help provide the stand some stability, using the frame itself as leverage, you can accomplish great things. Add some heat too.

I guess I could adjust the stand clamp to a stronger position. I usually run it fairly loose. I can't believe this happened! It seems like just a few months ago that I removed the post and frame-savered the seattube....so, I'm thinking that it just needs a good solid twist...I don't want to wreck the post (thudbuster), but will if I have to in order to save the frame.
    I got out of the habit of greasing seatposts years ago when I had trouble with a slippy USE post....
    I do have a new bike coming but I'm losing sleep over this until it's done!

How much heat can I add before compromising the frame? (I don't care about paint)

Are the frame tubes sealed? (Indy Fab & others do this...ie no breather holes in BB)
    "Everyone I know in bicycling is at least a little bit crazy, present company included." Sheldon Brown

semass

+ Reply to Thread