+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Free 3 hour mountain bike instruction on June 24th at Russell Mills Town Forest from

Default Free 3 hour mountain bike instruction on June 24th at Russell Mills Town Forest from

Free 3 hour mountain bike instruction on June 24th at Russell Mills Town Forest from 5:30 to 8:30 pm.
    Please check us out:

www.mountainbikingschool.net

Come join the fun and get a taste of what Mountain Biking School has to offer. All levels and ages welcome.
    You just need an interest or passion for mountain biking, helmet and working bike.

Also, recommended:

hydration
    snacks
    bug spray

Event could be cancelled due to heavy rains.
    Attached Images

After seeing this ad peppered on various sites and numerous forums, I have a few questions:

1. Is this a NEMBA approved/sactioned/supported event? It's posted in this NEMBA Events thread.
    2. Has anyone else checked the website? $400+ for 2 days of instruction!!!!!!!!!
    3. What is NEMBA's liability if this company takes paid customers out on a tour of a local trail network where NEMBA provides trail work ( i.e Russell Mills, Nam, etc...) and someone gets injured?
    4. Is it legal for a private company to make money via a service provided on public land. I'm sure the City of Lowell would be interested in knowing if I set up a beer for $$$ stand at the top of Hellevator!

Full disclosure: IMO, it's a good thing to get people into 'our' sport. I believe these folks need the proper equipment, support, instruction, and legal places to ride. Sorry but I still can't wrap my head around why anyone would pay $400+ for 2 days of instruction when any NEMBA Chapter in the Northeast could/would/will provide the same support free of charge. All a newbie has to do is join NEMBA, contact a representative from any Chapter, explain they are new to the sport and are looking for instruction/information/a ride guide......nd I'm sure that person would be hooked up big time between group rides, PYT rides, information on Clinics (free of charge) private tours, etc. I know I don't have all the information on this company, but this doesn't sit well with me.

I may be way off base with my concerns, but something doesn't seem right here
    Slaphead Mofo Leisure Team
    Sunday River Bike Park

Town Of Chelmsford Conservation Commission has been made aware of this posting and the website.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Goodbye,
    (4S,4aR,5S,5aR,6R,12aS)-4-(dimethylamino)- 3,5,10,12,12a-pentahydroxy- 6-methyl- 1,11-dioxo- 1,4,4a,5,5a,6,11,12a-octahydrotetracene- 2-carboxamide.
    You won't be missed.

It's all approved as far as Russell Mill goes. The Mountain Biking School has entered in to an agreement with the Town of Chelmsford.
    Ant,
    As far as the cost, riders drop tons of coin on bikes and go fast parts. After all of that investment, they still can take a corner correctly. I would figure that your average rider would get more out of the $400 for instruction than spending it on parts.
    Ibis Mojo HD / Demo 8

Quote Originally Posted by SofaKing Fast View Post
    As far as the cost, riders drop tons of coin on bikes and go fast parts. After all of that investment, they still can take a corner correctly. I would figure that your average rider would get more out of the $400 for instruction than spending it on parts.
    But if there were a bunch of places giving away go-fast parts free for the asking, would it still make sense to pay top $$ for them?

I guess I'll try to check out the 'product' at the free clinic and reserve judgement til then. If I make it, I'll post a mini-review here.
    Slapheadmofo Leisure Team
    Sinister Bikes
    Wachusett Brewing
    Sunday River Bike Park

figured I would put in my $.02

I met one of the proprietors of Mountain Biking School at the Pinnacle this past weekend. He was there trying to raise some awareness and I believe giving out some vouchers to podium finishers. He seemed like a stand up guy trying to do something he was passionate about. Just to respond to some of the points made above:

I can't speak to the exact relationship between the School and NEMBA other than that they have been buying advertisements and I do know that their use of Russell Mill was vetted as mentioned already.

As to the cost, it may seem steep but compared to any other form of professional training or higher education (cost per credit hour) thats actually pretty standard.

As to liability and private companies using public land I don't think there is really any issue there. Guide services use public land all the time, most have some sort of agreement/permit (like this school has with Chelmsford) be it rafting on a river, hiring a climbing guide, etc. Its not uncommon. If I hired a guide to help me hike the AT through New England and fell and broke my leg would the AMC and USFS be liable? I'm no lawyer but it doesn't seem likely.

I suppose you could go back and forth forever on a value comparison of getting free advice from NEMBA members compared to paying for a structured MTB clinic. Probably good arguments in both directions almost all of which would probably be subjective to a certain extent.

I agree with Slappy. Strong feelings? Check out the free clinic and go from there.

Dennis,
    We will see after Monday.
    Barry
    Ibis Mojo HD / Demo 8

Hope I can make it down. Haven't seen much of you guys lately.

"As to the cost, it may seem steep but compared to any other form of professional training or higher education (cost per credit hour) thats actually pretty standard."

Dunno if that's a valid comparison - playing with a bike isn't exactly a professional pursuit, and no matter how good the tips might be, there's no way you can compare this to college. Well, at least, real college (no offense to any of you Art School grads ). Even if you could, $200 for a day of classes is really close to Harvard money. There can't possibly be that much to learn about riding bikes.

Of course, after I see Barry throwing down backflips and tweaked 360s after class, I'll be signing up fer sure.
    Slapheadmofo Leisure Team
    Sinister Bikes
    Wachusett Brewing
    Sunday River Bike Park

+ Reply to Thread