+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is singlespeeding cool?

Default Is singlespeeding cool?

Is it still cool to ride a singlespeed if no one sees you doing it?
    Last edited by pulsepro; May 14th, 2013 at 07:52 AM.
    In some mysterious way woods have never seemed to me to be static things. In physical terms, I move through them; yet in metaphysical ones, they seem to move through me.
    John Fowles

yep. I have been invisible for many years now.

Saved a bunch of coin for a long time... now I have a new super swank fs 29'er. It's stupid fun on the downs, but we're not exactly 'getting along' as of yet. I can't put my finger on it, but some fitment & riding style habits remain to be worked out. I'm missing my El Mar at the moment. My checkbook doesn't exactly support two rigs, so.. tough decisions ahead.

As much grin as there is catching air off every kicker I can find, it just don't feel like home like the ss did.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutbum View Post
    Saved a bunch of coin for a long time... now I have a new super swank fs 29'er. It's stupid fun on the downs, but we're not exactly 'getting along' as of yet. I can't put my finger on it, but some fitment & riding style habits remain to be worked out. I'm missing my El Mar at the moment. My checkbook doesn't exactly support two rigs, so.. tough decisions ahead.

As much grin as there is catching air off every kicker I can find, it just don't feel like home like the ss did.
    Make the FS a SS with one of those swank YESS tensioners.
    In some mysterious way woods have never seemed to me to be static things. In physical terms, I move through them; yet in metaphysical ones, they seem to move through me.
    John Fowles

I like pulsepro's thinking!

Someone once wrote "Singlespeed means you're always in the wrong gear" and after riding SS for a few years I've come to agree with that sentiment. I'm now running 1x9 on my bikes, so I still get that "stand and mash" experience along with the ability to actually make steep climbs and then go fast when the trail levels outs. I'm not knocking SS, it is definitely a fun alternative to "sit and spin".

To me, riding SS is the Zen of mountain biking. It's simple and yet more complicated than riding gears and there in lies the challenge. There is more strategy in singlespeeding when it comes to attacking the next climb, or if you are riding rigid, picking the next line. Never heard the wrong gear bit but I like the false bravado of One Gear = More Beer!

Don't go full sus on singlespeed, I think that makes you a pussy. Do the opposite, ride rigid!
    My club: CT NEMBA
    My Blog: CycleSnack
    My Trail: The Upper Gussy Trail

I can vicariously appreciate the Zen of the Art of Singlespeed Maintenance, but I, too, have learned to become one with my 1x9er. That said, my next bike, due sometime next week, will be 2x10. We'll see how that goes. I will have many options with that new Transition TransAm 29er, including dedicated SS if I so wish.....

I too saved for a long time and bought a dual suss 29er. It's ridiculous the crap I can plow through on that thing. I had been on a HT SS 26er for about 8 or 10 years. I think I did it initially because I'm cheap, and I was riding 5-7 days a week and wearing parts out a few time a year. I don't know if I'm afraid to break the new bike or I just missed the singlespeed but a few days ago I picked up a monocog 29er. In all the years of only having a SS MTB I never had trouble keeping up on group rides.

After 2 years exclusively on my SS, I demoed a $5k full squish Giant at B St. last week ... I was totally lost with gears, not to mention the suspension. I think I might want gears when I do some bikepacking... ..maybe in a few years when I'm 40.

To answer the OP - SS is cool on group rides. When solo it hurts, makes you stronger faster, and brings you closer to god.

+ Reply to Thread