+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tire pressure question

Hybrid View

Default Tire pressure question

So what do you guys run for PSI? I'm normally 35-40 PSI on 26x2.2 for typical New England singletrack... a few friends are recommending I get down closer to 33-35. Can anyone weigh in on that?
    blue Trek Fuel FS
    Red Subaru Forester

tubes or tubeless? Style of rider?

I run lower 30's also. 170#, not super smooth, run tubes and carry a spare.
    Slapheadmofo Leisure Team
    Sinister Bikes
    Wachusett Brewing
    Sunday River Bike Park

I race @ 20 - 21 lbs tubeless setup. 29 x 2.0 on Stan's wheels and i train at foxborough all the time.

30psi must feel awful tubed or not (even for a big fella.) I can't imagine, must feel like bouncing down the trail... not riding it. IMO too many folks mistakenly think soft tires slows them down when in reality it lets your tire roll things as opposed to bouncing off AND you gain stupid amounts of traction.

Me? Toobless 2.4 Ardents on a 29'er FS: 20-22psi rear/18-20 front. This is for around 175# geared.
    Last edited by Troutbum; April 29th, 2013 at 08:49 PM.

I am riding a 29'er FS Tubeless with 25psi front and back. I am about 220# all geared up.
    Kona Satori

I find that going too much under 30, my tires tend to roll/fold when stuffed into a hard turn and I'm dinging rims on rough landings, etc. This is running 2.25"ish full-knobbed rubber on mid-width rims. I run softer for DH, but the tires and rims are way beefier.
    Slapheadmofo Leisure Team
    Sinister Bikes
    Wachusett Brewing
    Sunday River Bike Park

+1. I don't like the rolling feel below 30psi. Tubeless set up, 6-1, 170 rider. Sidewall strength is enhanced with pressure. I have ridden as low as 22 without banging the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by AA View Post
    tubes or tubeless? Style of rider?

Tube, XC rider, 5'11" and around 190 geared up. Looking for more traction and speed - typical weekend MTBer in MA.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutbum View Post
    30psi must feel awful tubed or not (even for a big fella.) I can't imagine, must feel like bouncing down the trail... not riding it. IMO too many folks mistakenly think soft tires slows them down when in reality it lets your tire roll things as opposed to bouncing off AND you gain stupid amounts of traction.

Yup, that's why I'm asking - gotta learn this stuff! I always grew up thinking you wanted very firm tires, but as I learn more, it seems my PSI is much higher than most. Since I've got new tires showing up today (Kenda Excavators), I'm going to start riding down at 30psi and see what that feels like.

Thank you guys for your responses!

blue Trek Fuel FS
    Red Subaru Forester

When I started I actually rode with tubes around 27psi any higher and the chatter was tough at speed and the tires bounced off of everything. Again I am 6' tall and with pack about 220# I am running 2.4 Maxxis Ardents up front and 2.25 in back and they are 29ers. Since I have gone tubeless I have run down around 20 a few times but didn't like the roll over, but the traction was awesome! It seems with my weight 25psi works well for me, although every now and then I can feel the rim hit on some hard square edges, but only on the rear tire where all my weight is!
    Kona Satori

+ Reply to Thread