+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pedals & shoes

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Kona Wah Wahs & 5-10's both shipping to me now (Wheelworks & Zappos respectively) as I couldn't find an LBS with anything in stock.

Good choice you will be happy with those!
    Kona Satori

Quote Originally Posted by GS View Post
    been using clipless since the Shimano 747 first came out and 'progressed' to platform clipless but am now a convert to flats.
    Are you using flats for XC type stuff too?

Quote Originally Posted by jjshein View Post
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Kona Wah Wahs & 5-10's both shipping to me now (Wheelworks & Zappos respectively) as I couldn't find an LBS with anything in stock.
    Wear shin protection of some kind even if it's just a lightweight pad of some kind. You WILL hit your shins with the pedals/pins even just walking around the bike sometimes. I got sick of carving up my shins and the dam things take forever to heal + I got a freaky huge hematoma from one nasty hit so I always wear pads now. Love my flat pedals with 5.10's with no intention to go clipless.

You could have got better pricing than those 2 places with a little Google work. I've found 5.10's run true to size BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by ktmdad View Post

You could have got better pricing than those 2 places with a little Google work.
    Not sure if you meant he should've bought both items online or just shopped around for a better deal @ a LBS. If it's the latter, disregard the following.

Yea, he probably could have found better pricing..............but he also supported a local establishment that pays taxes, hires locals, supports local causes in the community, and offers service/wrenching for those out there that are unable to do it themselves.

Do I buy a S-ton of bike stuff (including bikes) online and 'showroom' (check it out there, and buy elsewhere) from time to time at my LBS, yea. But I also buy what I can at my LBS.

If people don't support their LBS with purchases, those shops won't be there to size the newbie's, let you demo a bike for a weekend of ripping on your home trails, hook you up with warantee work, etc........I haven't seen an online retailer that has perfected sizing a bike, had the part in stock that you need and get you turned around in the matter of hours vs. days. Just my thoughts.
    Slaphead Mofo Leisure Team
    Sunday River Bike Park

Not sure if you meant he should've bought both items online or just shopped around for a better deal @ a LBS
    Either really, whatever his comfort level is in ordering on-line vs the LBS. Everyone's financial situation is different and honestly I'm just scraping by. I do allot of business with a LBS but also order plenty of stuff on-line I'll admit that. It's what I have to do, especially with multiple hobbies and 3 kids and child support. Sorry if my suggestion ruffled your feathers.

Quote Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
    And then, there are the Shimano Multi-release cleats, that basically act like very worn-out regular cleats and allow you to just yank your cleat straight out of the pedal without swivelling your heel. Personally, I find these unpredictable - sometimes you come out when you don't want to, sometimes you don't come out when you want to.
    Agreed Slappy - those things have ruined a few rides when I found a set in the garage, put them on the shoes, then couldn't climb a single hill without releasing, even with the pedal tension cranked all the way up. Worst Product Ever.
    PVNEMBA - Riding at its BEST
    http://www.facebook.com/CharlemontTrails

Wow lots of responses and opinions to choose from! Just throwing this in--I just replaced my worn out 520's for the new PDM780 XT's. they feel more stable and secure with that little extra machined surface area for the shoe tread. My feet are real finicky but are very happy in the Mavic Rush's that I got at JRA last year.

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    Agreed Slappy - those things have ruined a few rides when I found a set in the garage, put them on the shoes, then couldn't climb a single hill without releasing, even with the pedal tension cranked all the way up. Worst Product Ever.
    Knee, meet stem.
    Slapheadmofo Leisure Team
    Sinister Bikes
    Wachusett Brewing
    Sunday River Bike Park

I ride Five tens and a good spiny flat pedal. Always a good time.

+ Reply to Thread