+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What is your position on industrial wind farms?

Um, promoting clean air as well? ^
    SS rule the dirt!

"We as a group" are not promoting anything except riding bikes and helping out with trail work.
    NEMBA is NOT an environmental organization. I just spent the last few years in an ugly battle with so-called "environmentalists" over trail access. Trust me, they're no better than the 'windbaggers' you refer to.

And don't forget that 'wilderness experience' also means 'no bikes allowed'. I don't think "we as a group" should support expanding wilderness areas, as it means less equitable access for us.
    Last edited by Slappy; March 21st, 2013 at 03:01 PM.
    Slapheadmofo Leisure Team
    Sinister Bikes
    Wachusett Brewing
    Sunday River Bike Park

Geo thermal on a scale like what Iceland does is pretty cool. It's expensive to install for single home applications,but it's monthly cost represents a savings over fossil fuel. I know a few people who have geo and are happy with it.

I have experience with geo. As a residencial and commercial application it is working well. Poorly designed and installed systems never work.
    Off topic, but good to look at the whole picture.

My original topic does involve us as mountain bikers. We look to escape into the "dense" woods. Void of the marks and scars of the industrial form of progress. The cummulative effects of multiple wind farms and their closing off of major swaths of land to outdoors users is a concern of us all.

Wilderness and wind farms - neither is good for mt bikers. Plenty of 'environmentalists' think we shouldn't be welcome, ie Sierra Club, Audobon, numerous 'Friends' groups, probably the majority of the AMC...as an organization, NEMBA is right to stay out of other groups battles. Personally of course, everyone's free to climb in bed with whomever they please. Just don't be shocked if you're part of the next group they're pushing to keep out of the woods.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wachusett Brewing
    Sunday River Bike Park

Quote Originally Posted by agabriel View Post
    I've read it takes more emissions to produce a wind farm then they could ever reasonably reduce.
    Sounds like the Koch bros propaganda machine still works good...
    "Everyone I know in bicycling is at least a little bit crazy, present company included." Sheldon Brown

semass

Not a political thread. Keep the Koch comments somewhere else. The same as the 'bama comments. Corruption on both sides, I say.

My intent is to gage the position on these types of developments. Wind is current, used to be hydro. Large scale wind farms currently threaten the places we like to ride. I (concentrate, I said "I"), don't feel an organization such as NEMBA or Snowmobile clubs or bird clubs or fish clubs should accept money from corporations that destroy the woods and mtns we call home.
    I just want to see if I am the only one who thinks this way......

I'm not sure if it is correct or not, but I do know hybrid technology is BS the way [most] people actually drive.

I would be against GIVING them money, but don't have a problem accepting it. The same would go for, say, the Sierra Club.
    Long as it's not some sort of tit-for-tat deal, and NEMBA just keeps doing business as usual and stays on mission, any support is a good thing IMO.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wachusett Brewing
    Sunday River Bike Park

Quote Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
    NEMBA is right to stay out of other groups battles. Personally of course, everyone's free to climb in bed with whomever they please. Just don't be shocked if you're part of the next group they're pushing to keep out of the woods.
    This Land is your Land
    this Land is my Land
    from California to the Boston Harbor
    from the Redwood forest
    to the Gulf stream waters
    this Land was made for you and me

As I went rambling that ribbon of highway
    I saw above me a polluted skyway
    I saw below me a congested highway
    This Land was made for you and me

On Sunday morning in the shadow of the steeple
    by the welfare office I see my people