+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is your position on industrial wind farms?

Default What is your position on industrial wind farms?

Not a political conversation. I am looking at the expanded push for these things in Maine. Mountain top blasting and wilderness does not seem to go together.
    Plus these guys are bribing environmental groups and sweet talking local government boards for quicker approvals.
    I am just after a general feel for what the mtn. bikers of New England think.

Way more resource should be spent on Geothermal. I would vote NO on Wind Farms given the choice.

I like them. It is important to remember that they are owned by energy companies. Just because the look GREEN doesn't mean the parent company is concerned with the environment. It's still all about profit.

Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    Way more resource should be spent on Geothermal. I would vote NO on Wind Farms given the choice.
    Having some exposure to this industry I'll say that I've yet to see a geo system work properly. The math just never adds up... it sounds good in theory, but when you consider the expense of pumps & cost of running; meh. We have heating equipment that runs at 96%+ efficient out of the box fueled by natural gas.

As to the OP.. not sure where I stand yet. I think it's the same as solar: good concept, but in reality the payback isn't realistic. Like Harry says, it's all business.

Forest for the trees.

I like the idea of wind farms (less smoke pollution, less nuclear, etc.), but I really think solar is the way to go. Less environmental impact to install, and less interference with the environment once installed. With solar prices falling, people really need to take another look at going solar. Wind farms are a good concept, put not necessarily a good practice.

Quote Originally Posted by afclsn View Post
    Ibut I really think solar is the way to go. Less environmental impact to install, and less interference with the environment once installed. With solar prices falling, people really need to take another look at going solar.
    But what are your expectations with solar? Photovoltaic? Otherwise you can't expect anymore than domestic hot water needs in New England,which again begs... return on investment.

I've read it takes more emissions to produce a wind farm then they could ever reasonably reduce. I don't know if it that is true, but personally I would like to see more numbers. For instance the last green technology (if you will allow me to change gears slightly), hybrid cars, is actually worse the way most owners drive them. In that case, the first question a dealership should ask is can you drive under 60 mph and the second is will you actually want to drive it past warranty - if so start saving for the replacement batteries and charging system... A BMW M3 can get better gas mileage at speed (great Top Gear video on you tube) and the replacement parts are ~$12k. That doesn't even factor in what could be the biggest concern with hybrids - can you recycle the batteries?

What I am trying to say is that as consumers we should be smart enough to demand valid numbers and not just believe marketing BS...

I think solar and wind would be great in the desert .A combination of renewable energy is part of the answer. Oil will be a thing of the past.
    SS rule the dirt!

Quote Originally Posted by agabriel View Post
    What I am trying to say is that as consumers we should be smart enough to demand valid numbers and not just believe marketing BS...
    Quoted for effect

Thanks for the replies. In Maine, the support is fading...so the windbaggers are putting the pressure on local boards and the DEP. They are changing the face of the maine woods. I have been asking the local environmental groups for input and postions. The local NEMBA chapter accepted a large financial "gift." When I asked about it, I was told to not involve them in any discussions. If we, as a group, are promoting clean spaces and wilderness experiences....accepting "hush' money from the wind baggers should be a no-no.

+ Reply to Thread