+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: another stolen bike..

Default another stolen bike..

Grrrr. My son got his bike stolen in Chelmsford the other day. Locked, with a U-lock to an iron gate. They pulled the whole gate off the hinges and walked with the package. Dedicated thieves.

The bike was old but loved. I don't know that anyone will ever see it but...
    Red Access aluminum frame-small!. Manitou carbon fiber fork-don't remember the model; an old one for sure, single speed with a singlator, Answer Carbon bars, Avid BB7 front disc, NO rear brake. Wheels were junk, shod with basically an aggressive street tire, flat pedals.

My kid absolutely loved this bike. It was not only his only mode of transportation but his sanity. We are keeping a close eye on Craigslist but if anyone else sees something...

On another note, Sean has diddly for cash but I really would like to get a ride for him. If anybody has suggestions of nice inexpensive bikes, or used parts I could buy towards a building a replacement. He loves the SS and the negligible weight of his old bike but compromises are what life is all about.

Chris

Awwww, that sucks. Hate to hear stories about stolen bikes.

I may have an older GF medium HT frame out in my shed, I'll check. How tall is your son? Does he def. need a small frame? Is he looking for 24, 26, or 29 inch hoops?

I'm sure the folks on the Nemba forum will step up and help get your son rolling again. I'm sure I have some bits in the parts bin that need a good home. Let us know.
    Slaphead Mofo Leisure Team
    Sunday River Bike Park

He is 5'9". He liked the small one because he had so much room to move over the bike- sort of BMXish, I guess. Definitely 26 or 29. I have a bunch of 26" wheels kicking around so that helps. I keep thinking about how maybe my 80mm Manitou Scarab needs replacing! ;-)

I have a cannondale cad 3 frame and rigid fork he can have.matte forrest green size medium.no disc mounts,just canti's.

You guys are great! Let me look into what else I have to put things together!

I've got a set of hayes hydraulic disc brakes he can have if he can use them. Just need rotors.

Chris,

Let me know what else you may need. I have lots of usable stuff hanging around.

AA

Yes, please post what u need as the bike comes together. I have lots of parts around. Can't believe someone would go to those lengths to steal any bike, much less an older one.

Yeah put up a list. I've got rim brake wheels if you go that route. Just remembered I have a gary fisher mullet frame size xs with disc mounts if your son is more into a bmx-ish feeling ride.That would be a freebie too
    Last edited by DAVID J; December 22nd, 2012 at 09:07 AM.

Wow, my parts supply sucks. Just put a bike together for the wife and that doesn't help.
    Basically, to put a SS together for him I need:

frame
    fork
    cranks, BB
    singlator
    pedals (he prefers flats and I.... don't. ;-) ).

I have wheels, tires, bars, stem, post and seat, cogs and chain. I do have some rim brakes but he really loved his BB7.
    As I said, I could see handing down my Manitou Scareb (80mm, disc only) if I could find a decent, not-outrageous upgrade for myself for my Superlight. On the other hand, going rigid might knock some humility into him!

Chris

+ Reply to Thread