+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sandy has stirred up ticks like nobodys business !

Default Sandy has stirred up ticks like nobodys business !

FYI

I have been working on blowdowns after Sandy, and 3 nights in a row, I came home
    to small ticks, large ticks, all sorts of ticks each night crawling on me.

So, be extra vigilant on checking for freeloaders when you get back from
    a ride, and also shine a light up and down your camelbak, and on your
    MTB shoes to ensure no critters are hanging out...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Goodbye,
    (4S,4aR,5S,5aR,6R,12aS)-4-(dimethylamino)- 3,5,10,12,12a-pentahydroxy- 6-methyl- 1,11-dioxo- 1,4,4a,5,5a,6,11,12a-octahydrotetracene- 2-carboxamide.
    You won't be missed.

For some reason that doesn't surprise me. Storms can do all kinds of weird things. Although, I'm told that a decent freeze (it doesn't take much) will put ticks out of service.

Don't count on any freezing to knock down the tick activity. Late fall always sees a large pulse of deer tick (black-legged tick) activity, especially in November, well after hard freezes. Adults are still active but also loads of smaller nymphs are out there. This is similar to the early spring pulse of deer ticks. Our dog over the years has had occasional ticks even in the middle of winter. Whenever you are contacting brushy vegetation this time of year (or most anytime of year) be sure to check yourself thoroughly for ticks. I just pulled an embedded adult deer tick from my shin two days ago.
    aka Gumbo

+ Reply to Thread