+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shenipsit State Forest/Soapstone Mountain

Default Shenipsit State Forest/Soapstone Mountain

Anyone ride here? I've ridden the trails there many times. There are some pretty long technical loops you can do. Just wondering if anyone else but me rides there haha. It would be nice to ride the trails with a few people.

I ride there quite a bit. Although not in the last few weeks for whatever reason. I have a good 15 or so mile loop I do starting at the main lot. There's some really nice stuff over there, but there is also a lot of trails that are just blown out by the motorcycle guys. Last time I rode there it was during one of the enduro events, nothing like running a hundred motorcycles through a trail system to keep it in good shape Sometimes those blown out trails piss me off, but I guess I just have to let it go.

I usually start my ride by crossing Gulf Road and then 190 before coming back across. There is some great trail over there that is less used. Recently I've been ending my ride with a crank up the paved road to the top and riding the blue back down. That is a nasty, wrist cramping downhill - love it.

Maybe you'll recognize some of this:
    https://vimeo.com/43358544
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Yeah I know what your talking about as far as the dirt bikes ripping up parts of the trails. At least it helps keep the leaves and sticks off to a degree though haha. The last longer rides I've started have been pretty good though. Some dirt bike damage, but certainly some good sections as well. I've been starting out of the parking lot on the blue trail. There is another trail about half way up the paved access road on the left, mostly down and flows pretty well. Those downhill trails from the top are pretty fun too haha. One of them, I actually raked off the whole trail a year ago. I recognize the parts in the video too, cool. Maybe we could put a ride together there! I've really only ridden there by myself, but I know the trails really well.

When do you ride? I ride most Sunday mornings, sometimes with a group and sometimes solo. I usually try to get out once or twice during the week as well, but now that it's light season, Snip is not usually in play - I have heard of a couple of people getting tickets for being in the park after dark. I know a few places to park for Snip that are out of the way, but I usually just ride Case or Crandalls for night rides.

Have you tried Crandalls? A fairly new trail system - not nearly as big as Snip, but 8-10 miles of lightly used, twisty singletrack in Tolland.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

I've never had any issues parking in the main parking lot, but then again I'm never there until dark. If I go ride there I usually get there around 1 and ride for 2 hours or so. It's usually whenever I feel like riding, and when the weather is nice. Its easy for me since I only live 20 minutes away. I Don't have a specific biking day though, its just whenever haha. Haven't tried those other places you mentioned.

Love riding Crandell, but always looking for someone to ride with. When do you usually ride? Next time you ride there, PM me. Been riding in there with the dog lately, but would love to hook up for a night ride. PM me.

+ Reply to Thread