+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Great Brook Farm State Park Kona Bicycles MTB Adventure Ride This Sunday, 9/16!

Am I the only one getting upset after reading some of the comments above?

Here are some of the gems: A 4 tier system, group rides getting bogged down, complaining that there is too much traffic on a climb, paying $ and not getting the service you expected.......blah blah blah blah

Everybody showed up at GB to ride a bike, there were posted group rides, there was a bbq, a raffle, demo bikes, trail maps, etc.......... everything MOST people need to have a good time. Ok, a couple of arrows may have fallen or were not where someone expected them.......improvise.......look at a trail map and point your handlebars in the direction of a ST, everything should have worked out. GB is one of the easiest networks to navigate using a trail map. It's actually hard to get lost.

As far as someone not knowing how to get over to RM from GB, instead of complaining that the route thru Thanksgiving Forest to RM wasn't marked...........you should have asked someone. Any of the locals could have explained it to you in 2 minutes. Again, there are maps and threads on this site explaining just how to do so.....a little research or asking a question may have 'saved' the day some 'Service' seekers.

I can honestly say that I've never expected 'Service' when I've attended a NEMBA ride. I grab a trail map, show up, make a donation to NEMBA, then ride with friends. At different events we've ventured off the 'arrowed' trails, explored on our own, gotten lost, but had a great time.

It's only ST dammitawl, grab your bike and ride it!
    Slaphead Mofo Leisure Team
    Sunday River Bike Park

Quote Originally Posted by SofaKing Fast View Post
    Here you go:
    The top one is mine and I lead some sections and was the sweep at some points. The second line is for the sweep. He didn't take the same track due to an injury of another rider. The average moving time was close to 8MPH.

http://app.strava.com/rides/22203363
    http://app.strava.com/rides/22172765
    http://app.strava.com/rides/22181533
    http://app.strava.com/rides/22200278
    http://app.strava.com/rides/22194142
    Awesome! Thanks! A quick look at some of the segments we both rode, I was no more than 1 minute behind. Beaver Loop and Keys we rode the same pace. Tophet - Heartbreak we had the same pace until I dropped a chain and had to stop, fell back a minute. It looked like I was keeping pace up Stone Row until we went different routes (or the GPS went wonky). Down Stone Row Backside I kept pace. Looking at the other rides, Scott was pretty quick on Tophet, not sure I'd keep up with him there. I averaged 7.5MPH on my 10.8 mile ride with a few stops here and there (mechanical, slow riders, waiting for friends, getting lost, etc). On the demo bike I rode 7.9MPH. It's not quite 8.0MPH and the distances don't add up to your epic ride...but when my new bike comes in I think I might be able to keep pace. I hope to make the wicked ride and I'll probably try the advanced warmup and see how I do.

Quote Originally Posted by antmav View Post

Here are some of the gems: A 4 tier system, group rides getting bogged down, complaining that there is too much traffic on a climb, paying $ and not getting the service you expected.......blah blah blah blah

Everybody showed up at GB to ride a bike, there were posted group rides, there was a bbq, a raffle, demo bikes, trail maps, etc.......... everything MOST people need to have a good time. Ok, a couple of arrows may have fallen or were not where someone expected them.......improvise.......look at a trail map and point your handlebars in the direction of a ST, everything should have worked out. GB is one of the easiest networks to navigate using a trail map. It's actually hard to get lost.

As far as someone not knowing how to get over to RM from GB, instead of complaining that the route thru Thanksgiving Forest to RM wasn't marked...........you should have asked someone. Any of the locals could have explained it to you in 2 minutes. Again, there are maps and threads on this site explaining just how to do so.....a little research or asking a question may have 'saved' the day some 'Service' seekers.

I can honestly say that I've never expected 'Service' when I've attended a NEMBA ride. I grab a trail map, show up, make a donation to NEMBA, then ride with friends. At different events we've ventured off the 'arrowed' trails, explored on our own, gotten lost, but had a great time.

Ok, "service" wasn't the word I should have chosen - I love the NEMBA events - ride them all. They are great - but I don't think we need to do research on a place before we go. I go expecting all the loops to be marked on these bigger NEMBA events. It's not much of an expectation. In fact, I went last time on a group ride at GB and we went to RM - so after the 13 miler we went back and rode there from memory. Got lost for a bit on the road, but nevertheless, found the place. Sometimes it's just more fun to point and shoot - follow the arrows blindly without having to stop at every intersection and having to look at a map or ask directions. IMO.

Yowser. First off, after leading and organizing many rides, "everybody" is an intermediate rider. I rode just the white loop, well marked, fantastic day for a ride. I do know on the big advanced ride, two people had some injuries. That would slow the group down. And that there were 200 plus people all over the park. Group rides are not an exact science. I always take responsibility for where I am riding, ie. carry a map and such. Chilli prep started for the wicked ride, Ride, eat chilli, repeat.
    SS rule the dirt!

Default My Testimony

Quote Originally Posted by antmav View Post

I read a lot of this also and started wondering what was up. The fact that I made it to the event in the first place was a miracle. Considering the fact that I haven't been at Great Brook for almost ten years, riding with the kids/family ride sure made things very enjoyable. From my personal standpoint, I enjoyed the event and cannot complain.

+ Reply to Thread