+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Great Brook Farm State Park Kona Bicycles MTB Adventure Ride This Sunday, 9/16!

Hybrid View

Cool Great Brook Farm State Park Kona Bicycles MTB Adventure Ride This Sunday, 9/16!

Great Brook Farm State Park Kona Bicycles MTB Adventure Ride This Sunday, 9/16!

Come to Carlisle MA this Sunday to one of the best places to ride, west of Russell Mill!
    We will have guided and self lead rides for Advanced, Intermediate, Women’s, Novice and U-12 Kids - ice cream included for the kids! We’ll have a prize drawing at 9:30 for some really cool, useful bike gear (no water bottles here), followed by some great BBQ at noon. JRA Cycles will be on hand PLUS, Rocky Mountain Cycles will my demos available for registered riders. You get my personal guarantee for the best riding weather all season! This all adds up to a fabulous fun day, so come on out and join us
    http://www.mtbadventureseries.org/mt...reatbrook.html
    I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

I probably won't be there for the prize drawing due to other personal responsibilities. But I plan on coming anyways - at whatever time.

Great day for a ride yesterday. I somehow missed the fact that the 25 mile ride wasn't arrowed (or maybe only partially and needed a leader) so I did that pink arrowed loop thinking it was 25 only to find out it's really the 13 mile loop. Bummer as I wanted to hit Russell Mill. Oh well, I did the pink loop a 2nd to get my fill time then demoed a couple bikes for good measure. Still a fun time so thank you for all the work, the BBQ, Rocky and JRA!!

Quote Originally Posted by ktmdad View Post
    Great day for a ride yesterday. I somehow missed the fact that the 25 mile ride wasn't arrowed (or maybe only partially and needed a leader) so I did that pink arrowed loop thinking it was 25 only to find out it's really the 13 mile loop. Bummer as I wanted to hit Russell Mill. Oh well, I did the pink loop a 2nd to get my fill time then demoed a couple bikes for good measure. Still a fun time so thank you for all the work, the BBQ, Rocky and JRA!!
    Agreed. I must say it was very disappointing, that the 25 mile ride was not arrowed to Russel Mill - clearly the better place. My self and group of friends, along with others all though that if we paid the money, we should be getting the service, we've come to expect at every NEMBA ride. To only have lead rides that went the full 25 was disappointing to say the least. Most times these rides are bogged down, wait up too much and are full of folks over stating their technical abilities. You're not an expert because you can ride 25 miles or even a hundred - road bikers do that - what separates us from them is the terrain. Measure your ability by your technical abilities to carry on through over the rough stuff, not just dirt road bike the easy stuff. I know it was through some roadway to Russel Mill - but we can handle that. Otherwise, the single track stuff was fantastic.

You and me both. Things got bottled up on the first real climb and I must have passed the leader (or fell behind waiting for others to get back on their bikes). By the time I got down I just started following the pink arrows. Perhaps I missed a few arrows because I ended up logging 10.8 miles. When I got back I grabbed a Rocky Mountain Element demo and logged another 6.4. Indian Hill was a lot more fun with fewer riders on it the second time around...and the Element rode wonderfully. It was a nice break from my hardtail. If I come back, I'll have to hit Russell Mill.

I think the led ride would have been better if Indian Hill were skipped or perhaps ridden later on once riders had a chance to shuffle based on ability. Some riders really weren't ready to tackle it. Maybe that's just the vagueness of an intermediate ride. Perhaps a 4-tier system would be more suited to keep people with similar abilities together.

Perhaps I missed a few arrows because I ended up logging 10.8 miles
    My first time through some arrows had been pulled and I missed some trail as well. 2nd time through at least 1 arrow was back in place and at another intersection someone had kindly laid out some branches in the shape of an arrow on the ground pointing the right direction to go. I got there and started cussing to myself until I saw that on the ground and then said a big thank you to who ever did it. Pretty sure I got it all the second time around.

Funny about the Element. I'm used to a 140mm bike (with 650B wheels) and didn't really care for it. Didn't seem to climb all that great and the suspension felt harsh to me even with the 29 inch wheels. I was surprised how well and easily it took some tight switchback corners. I loved the Pivot Mach 5.7 the JRA guy let me take a spin on though and I'd like to spend more time on that bike.

I enjoyed the suspension, but I was coming from an entry level 100mm hardtail 26er. I guess its all relative. I pulled off the Indian hill climb but in clockwise direction (reverse from the pink arrows) without using the lower cog. On the way down I fumbled a few rocks and got hung up. I was trying to keep up with my friend on a Slayer and that was my mistake. The travel was not suited for high speed rocky descents. On the flats and rolling rooty trails I carried significantly more speed with what seemed to be half the effort. I could hear my friend on the Slayer cursing from behind me. Earlier in the day I was keeping pace with him (me on my HT 26er, and him on a FS 29er) but with the roles reversed it was no contest. The 29er ruled the flats.

I got there kind of late. So, I tagged along on the kids ride. Guess what? That was still a blast. I bet some of the kids have been at it for quite awhile and have MTB in their blood. I think before the snow falls, I'm going to go back out to Great Brook with the cyclocross bike just for curiosity sake.

Speaking of which, was anyone on the advanced ride using Strava? I'd like to check my own times to see whether I could keep up or I'd be one of those guys "overstating his technical abilities". I usually clear technical terrain...but not at a race pace...which puts me mid pack on popular Strava segments. I would consider that intermediate, but I wasn't getting passed by people on the intermediate ride.

Here you go:
    The top one is mine and I lead some sections and was the sweep at some points. The second line is for the sweep. He didn't take the same track due to an injury of another rider. The average moving time was close to 8MPH.

http://app.strava.com/rides/22203363
    http://app.strava.com/rides/22172765
    http://app.strava.com/rides/22181533
    http://app.strava.com/rides/22200278
    http://app.strava.com/rides/22194142
    Ibis Mojo HD / Demo 8

+ Reply to Thread