+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Example of why Strava bites the big one in the woods....

Hybrid View

Default Example of why Strava bites the big one in the woods....

some trails are just impossible to create a segment that can be duplicated by
    riding and trying to compare times or fitness improvement. this is a prime example
    Attached Images
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Goodbye,
    (4S,4aR,5S,5aR,6R,12aS)-4-(dimethylamino)- 3,5,10,12,12a-pentahydroxy- 6-methyl- 1,11-dioxo- 1,4,4a,5,5a,6,11,12a-octahydrotetracene- 2-carboxamide.
    You won't be missed.

I'm a new 'trial' user of Strava. So far it seems to serve it's purpose for me for data collection/analysis... I've blown my gasket too many times with Garmin Connect & walked away. What are you using to collect gps data? The Strava app? Cellular device or gps unit?

those are not my segments, someone else made them. as long as they are there, you can't really make
    new ones that aren't 'hidden'
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Goodbye,
    (4S,4aR,5S,5aR,6R,12aS)-4-(dimethylamino)- 3,5,10,12,12a-pentahydroxy- 6-methyl- 1,11-dioxo- 1,4,4a,5,5a,6,11,12a-octahydrotetracene- 2-carboxamide.
    You won't be missed.

Biking under the canopy is tough for locking in specific segments, especially if they are short or near many other trails. But this is not really a Strava issue but an accuracy issue with the GPS on the devices we use. Out in the Stow Town Forest we have several segments and many are repeatable with regularity but sometimes you don't get logged in on a segment. Hogboy, that GPS track you are showing is insane - hard to see what is going on there especially with all the radiating straight dead end lines.
    aka Gumbo

somebody must have made the segments with a Garmin Potato
    Goodbye,
    You won't be missed.

All this Strava and GPS business is shite. Leave that stuff at home.
    In some mysterious way woods have never seemed to me to be static things. In physical terms, I move through them; yet in metaphysical ones, they seem to move through me.
    John Fowles

Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post
    All this Strava and GPS business is shite. Leave that stuff at home.
    Umm, I will disagree with this.

I am recovering from a severe injury, and I would like to join group ride, but I cannot overcook my knee.
    GPS and Strava is motivating me to hammer when I can, solo, without the worry of being a lame ride anchor.
    Last thing I want to be is 'that guy' dragging down the group. So, me vs GPS data is how I have been spending
    time riding.

So...for me, it is the best thing I have ever done. I am making leaps of improvements in all aspects:

mtb
    ss mtb
    road
    ss road

I am now able to ride +45 trail miles cruising with zero stops, earlier this year I couldn't ride 3 miles without stopping and unkinking the knee.
    strava motivates me to pound away at those pedals, rinse, repeat. Other peeps strava data motivates me to ride more and harder.
    Last edited by hogboy; September 14th, 2012 at 09:28 AM.
    Goodbye,
    You won't be missed.

All this Strava and GPS business is shite.
    Glad I'm not the only one that has no use for any of it.

FWIW: a watch can handle 'racing against self' simply and cheaply.
    Slapheadmofo Leisure Team
    Sinister Bikes
    Wachusett Brewing
    Sunday River Bike Park

Quote Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one that has no use for any of it.

FWIW: a watch can handle 'racing against self' simply and cheaply.
    Yeah, right! I avoid riding with my cell phone (and yes, my phone is an actual phone, not a mini-computer "smart phone" thing).
    In some mysterious way woods have never seemed to me to be static things. In physical terms, I move through them; yet in metaphysical ones, they seem to move through me.
    John Fowles

Yeah, right! I avoid riding with my cell phone (and yes, my phone is an actual phone, not a mini-computer "smart phone" thing).

How bout this example of how great Stava is:
    So I'm out hiking in Groton Town Forest with my kids (wanting to check out the newly cut ST) and out from around a corner come three individuals who obviously lost their way during the Windam World Cup XC race. These three bozo's come ripping around a blind corner at warp speed and luckily swerve and break before they plow into my two little guys. The guys seemed to feel bad and couldn't offer enough apologies. I told them everything was cool and things like that happen from time to time, no worries. Then before the guys rode off, one of them blurted out, "There goes our Strava run, now we have to go back and start over, we were at PR pace".........it was then clear, these dudes were using the trails as a time trial course.

Hey, I think there's nothing wrong with trying to ride faster, trying to better your form, etc.........but for those of you who like to rip the trails at warp speed (I'm included also), please be aware that you may be riding on a multi-use trail and you may run into someone on a horse, a family with either kids, pets, and old folks (all of which may be behind the eight ball when dodging bikers), and (hopefully not) an anti-bike wingnut. Please don't give any of those folks a reason to rally around limiting MTB access because of careless riding.

BTW, this applies to everyone not just Strava users.
    Last edited by antmav; September 18th, 2012 at 07:32 AM.
    Slaphead Mofo Leisure Team
    Sunday River Bike Park

+ Reply to Thread