+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: "Do-it-all" bike for 3K?

Quote Originally Posted by ktmdad View Post
    I'll bet JRA in Medford has a Satori test bike you could try and Belmont Wheel Works just became a Transition dealer.
    I went to both shops yesterday. I test rode a Stumpy Comp (not EVO) and the Tallboy (100 mm). I found the Sales Person to be the opposite of friendly and accommodating. He told me that I didn't want to test ride the Transition. It seemed like he was getting tired of helping me. After that, I went to JRA. I found Brian and his staff to be far more helpful and supportive. I was able to test ride the Satori around the block, but he said that they do have a demo. I'm hoping that in the next week I'll be able to check it out (It's a little difficult getting down to Medford from Nashua) Of course, the 2013 is spec'd even better, so I'm tempted to go with the new rig too. Either way, the demo should give me a great idea of how it rides.

I personally didn't like it, but the Rumblefish meets your criteria add well. Pedal power in Exeter has tests bikes.

All I've learned from this is I'm going to be very afraid to ride with you when you get your new rig!
    blue Trek Fuel FS
    Red Subaru Forester

Niner frames run large - I am 6' 0" with a 34 inseam and I ride a Medium RIP9, its the only Medium bike I've ever owned (check out the geometry - http://www.ninerbikes.com/rip9 - note that Al's bike has a one degree steeper head angle than what is in those charts). I swapped bikes with a friend on a medium Nomad and it was like a minibike compared to my bike.

I know it sounds like I'm trying to sell the RIP9, I'm not, but I do like mine!
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    All I've learned from this is I'm going to be very afraid to ride with you when you get your new rig!
    Are you afraid of the stupid things I'll do with my new found confidence on a full squish? I'm hoping that I'll finally be able to keep up with you now.

I have the 2012 Satori and love it. If I had a switch to set the suspension from the handlebars I would use the pro pedal more which would make climbing much better, but it descends over everything. It comes with a 2.4 front and 2.25 rear. I haven't changed anything yet, but I am guessing go tubeless and changing the front tire to 2.25 would mike it lighter and even better for climbing. I am pretty sure Brian from JRA owns a Satori too! I can't say enough good things about JRA. It's the only shop I go to! I know they have the demo since I took it out an actually met someone at Harold Parker last weekend that had it while his was in for service. Good luck with whatever you choose cause really, what's better than getting a new toy!
    Kona Satori

Quote Originally Posted by ecwashere7 View Post
    I went to both shops yesterday. I test rode a Stumpy Comp (not EVO) and the Tallboy (100 mm). I found the Sales Person to be the opposite of friendly and accommodating. He told me that I didn't want to test ride the Transition. It seemed like he was getting tired of helping me. After that, I went to JRA. I found Brian and his staff to be far more helpful and supportive. I was able to test ride the Satori around the block, but he said that they do have a demo. I'm hoping that in the next week I'll be able to check it out (It's a little difficult getting down to Medford from Nashua) Of course, the 2013 is spec'd even better, so I'm tempted to go with the new rig too. Either way, the demo should give me a great idea of how it rides.
    Interesting and puzzling why he didn't want you to test the Bandit. Well to add to you're potential choices here is the new Transition Covert 29'r. Nice looking bike.

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/Transitio...bike-2012.html

Quote Originally Posted by ecwashere7 View Post
    New list:
    Stumpy Comp EVO 29
    Tallboy at 120 (LT?)
    Kona Satori - Any experience?? I really liked the geometry and it seemed to be spec'd well.
    Tallboy LT is 135mm. I've got one on order due to arrive in October. I've been riding a 100mm hardtail entry level bike for a year and its time for an upgrade, a big one at that. I rode the Tallboy on a demo day at Bear Brook. It was wet so I couldn't push it too hard, but I fell in love. No problems for me on the XC terrain and it really shined once I pointed it downhill. For the majority of NEMBA parks, the Tallboy (non-LT) is probably sufficient to handle the roots and rocks of XC trails. However, I want to make a few trips to lift-service parks next year. Since I'm a one-bike guy the LT will give me enough travel to enjoy both types of riding.

+ Reply to Thread