+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: John Jenkins Memorial Ride (JJMR) Date

Thumbs up John Jenkins Memorial Ride (JJMR) Date

The JJMR is happening this year on September 30th. For those that haven't been before, it is an all day group ride exploring the singletrack around Petersham. The trails tend to be technical, tight, and have some decent climbing sprinkled in to keep everybody honest. We have a lunch stop (we can shuttle your stuff), where we prvide snacks, a mid afternoon stop, and a pot luck BBQ at the end. The pace is whatever the group dictates, but I try to keep it moving along. This ride is a fundraiser for the John Jenkins Memorial Scholarship Fund. He was my Dad and hardcore rider and racer back in the day. The skinny is below.
    Date: Sunday September 30
    Time: Ride leaves at 8
    Cost: make a donation
    Contact: chris jenkins - ridelong@charter.net or reply here for questions

-Long Live Long Rides

A lot of people have been asking about this ride....ok, I got 39 days to get in shape!

it's mostly downhill so a little extra just helps keep the roll going!

Chris, what's your definition of downhill. Something like anything you can climb without using your easiest gear is a downhill...
    PVNEMBA - Riding at its BEST
    http://www.facebook.com/CharlemontTrails

Your dad was hardcore to say the least. The year we all did the VT50, I thought I was doing well to finish in just over 6 hours only to find that John's time was almost 1 hour faster. Can't be certain, but he also might have ridden his bike from Petersham to the old Power Circuit course along the CT River area to check the course out with us. Then there was the day we were all checking out the Second Start Enduro course in NH and as I was pushing hard thru the course(hard for me), and there was John behind me, easily cruising along saying something like "this seems like a comfortable pace"...ouch. Of course, there was the old story that as John would be doing a really tough climb and going by other racers and as he approached the top, he would then shift into a much harder gear as he passed the orher racers. How about the Ellington CT race where John broke his seat post and had to continue racing "off" the saddle........he came in second for the race thanks to the snapped seat post. The stories go on and on. Your dad will never be forgotten by any of us that rode and raced with him. A really nice guy.

thanks for the kind words. My kids are getting into riding (8,8,10) and did their first race a couple weeks ago. Over dinner tonight they had question after to question to hear more "grandpa John" biking stories. He would have really enjoyed telling them himself, but my kids get to know him through the stories.

One week to go and the trails are looking in good shape. Hope to see a bunch of riders there.

How many miles will this ride be?
    If you didn't build the trail, don't mess with it.

Really??? Miles are an abstract representation of distance traveled over an everchanging and varied landscape, therefore no two miles are identical and cannot be used to accuratly describe a given distance. When I properly measure it using a time continuim adjusted for gravitational pull associated with the current moon phase, I come out to approximately a long ass way.

Looking forward to it all... the suffer fest and the amazing lengths of stone walls you have up there.

+ Reply to Thread