+ Reply to Thread

Thread: women's mountain bike

Hybrid View

Default women's mountain bike

I'm looking for a bike for my wife. She's 5'1, entry level. Something to ride at wampy to start. Looking to spend under $500 for now. Anything out there? Thanks

What size frame are you looking for?
    SS rule the dirt!

I actually bought my wife a small haro front suspension with disc brakes for 550 brand new. I got it at bicycles plus in Franklin. She's the same size as your wife and got a 15 inch frame.

FYI - this months Mountain Bike Action appears to have an entire section dedicating to buying women's bikes.

$499 - http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._trail_xii.htm

My wife is 5'6" and she's on a 15" (though a higher level Motobecane, but same frame), I purposely bought it small for really good standover. Bikesdirect has good deals generally, I know some say that 29ers are for larger riders, but I know several short women (shorter than my wife) on them.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

I was thinking prob a 14" frame. How are the motobecanes?

We bought a Motobecane for my wife a few years ago, its a 29er HT. The price point is impossible to beat based on the components on the frame. There are a couple of stinker parts on there, but they are easily replaceable if you have a problem. All in all we are very happy with that bike - and I know a few others who have them who are happy too.

I think they have a 13.5" frame available - pay attention to the standover - make sure that there is enough room for you to comfortably stand flat footed and clear the top tube. My wife was on the fence between a 15 and a 17, we went for the 15 and bought a longer seatpost so she has a lot of standover clearance, its really helpful when you get in one of those "I gotta get off quick" moments.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

I think were going to prob pick up a hardrock if we can find one in her size.

+ Reply to Thread