+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kona Honzo

Default Kona Honzo

Anyone seen one of new Kona Honzo's in person yet?

I've been riding one for about a month. Got the frame from Bikeman and built it up with a 120mm Reba and some big rubber. It isn't a lightweight but it will hammer over anything. I wouldn't want to race this rig but riding it is the most fun I've had on a bike in a while.

Nice to hear. Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity, were you comparing this to any others before you went this route?

I also have a Fisher Hi Fi 29er and a Specialized Rockhopper SL 29er single speed. The Honzo holds a line like a locomotive compared to both of theese bikes. I had a Vassago Bandersnatch 29er but I didn't like the geometry (long chainstays and steep head angle). I looked at Canfield Bros Yelly and Nimble 9 and also at the Banshee Paradox but the Honzo's geometry and price finally won me over. It seems that the new wave of 29ers have slack head angles and short chainstays. A few years ago 80mm was the average fork travel but now we are seeing 120mm / 140mm of travel. It all adds up to a really fun to ride trail bike.

Perfect. Funny how I keep seeing the same list of bikes pop up around these discussions. Appreciate the feedback.

Have you checked out a karate monkey?
    SS rule the dirt!

Not yet, but definitely adding it to the list for review. Criteria is shorter chain stays and a somewhat slacker head angle probably less than 70.

I have a Paradox, and it's sweet. DO NOT stray from your geometry criteria.
    In some mysterious way woods have never seemed to me to be static things. In physical terms, I move through them; yet in metaphysical ones, they seem to move through me.
    John Fowles

I love the geometry of the Redline d460. The last year of this fine steel frame was 2008 I believe, I bought a used one. The HA is 70.5, I think. I have 100 mm on there now, but 120mm would be even better. I believe the monocog an d the d440 share the same geo and maybe some of the newer alum. Redlines, (PP please correct me if I'm wrong...)
    Like the Honzo (with which I have no experience) it's not lightweight, probly @ 5.5 # but bombproof.....and the price was good

+ Reply to Thread