+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Bigfoot, UFO's, Black Helicopters, etc in New England riding spots

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Chocula View Post
    PS WTF is "you know what"? You packing heat on night rides?!
    On every ride!

A bunch of us were doing a night ride deep in the bowels of Foxboro one night. All of a sudden a catch a very distinct smell. I stop and ask everyone else if they notice it. Yup. All of us agreed it smelled exactly like chocolate chip cookies fresh from the oven. WTF?!?! No houses anywhere near us. Cannot imagine someone was camping out there baking cookies. Maybe that sweet old lady with the sunglasses was planning to feed us? Never found out what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    A bunch of us were doing a night ride deep in the bowels of Foxboro one night. All of a sudden a catch a very distinct smell. I stop and ask everyone else if they notice it. Yup. All of us agreed it smelled exactly like chocolate chip cookies fresh from the oven. WTF?!?! No houses anywhere near us. Cannot imagine someone was camping out there baking cookies. Maybe that sweet old lady with the sunglasses was planning to feed us? Never found out what it was.
    I would have shot the cookie maker on the spot. Someone who bakes cookies at night int the woods must be hell spawn.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainB View Post
    On every ride!
    I just don't get scared enough to carry a gun while I'm bike riding here in the Mass suburbs. Maybe you guys know something I don't.

I've run into the Wiccans before, but I'm sure I've scared people coming out of the bush late without my light on holding a rogue hoe or pulaski. Just like working on the trails in the fall after work and when dusk gets dark enough I use the light to work and turn it off for the hike out, enjoy the solitude. Definitely encountered a rider or two with me popping up on them or me "materializing" in front of them around a corner before their lights, and eyes, could find me. I'm not a wee fellow either.

I ride Freetown all the time, and I've done some solo night rides. I was taking 5 at the top of the ledge one night and ran into a guy with a rifle out "night hunting" (don't ask me how this is possible or remotely safe) It was a full moon. He told me a story about running into a group of wiccans out having some kind of ceremony with drums. Personally I was more freaked out by him just being out there with a gun.

There's definitely some weird **** has happened in Freetown. There used to be a strange stone pillar about 4 feet high. It had 3 sides and all 3 there were covered from top to bottom with alternating spray painted 6's and 9's. Like 6 9 6 9 6 9 running down the side. It marked a short singletrack that headed down to a small clearing. I'm not entirely sure, but I would guess it was the site of those satan worshipping rituals that went down in the 70's. Its gone now, and I can't even seem to find the spot where it used to be.

Another creepy spot is King Philips spring in the FR watershed part. Its kind of a neat little spring. There is some really old stonework surrounding the spring in an 8 shape. The top of the 8 has the spring and the bottom is just a little pool with steps going in. I'm guessing the bottom was for bathing, the top for drinking. There is also a very large flat stone nearby, could be used for preparing meals or as a table. I would guess this was used for thousands of years by native americans. Its a neat place but I get a very weird vibe there, like I'm unwelcome. Doesn't help that the trail its located off of is called dead man's trail. Oh yeah, King philip was betrayed and beheaded. His head sat up on a pike in the Taunton green for years to come as a reminder to remaining indians.

Sorry to throw fuel on the fire, but those of you who carry a gun on trails around here need to grow some balls, what are you afraid of? Coyotes? racoons? (Actually I think the scariest thing I've ever seen in the woods was a clearly rabid raccoon, wandering in circles in the middle of the day growling and making weird yelps) I think you watch too many movies. I'm all for gun rights but this isn't grizzly country people. I guess if you have a cool, expensive gun you've got to justify it somehow, but pulling it on an old lady, I mean come on, you're telling me you couldn't take down an old lady without a firearm?
    Last edited by icecreamjay; October 24th, 2011 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    but pulling it on an old lady, I mean come on, you're telling me you couldn't take down an old lady without a firearm?
    Dude she had on sun glasses at night, sunglasses! Clearly she was super human! Lol lol lmao!
    ROCKHOPPERS RULE!!

Another creepy spot is King Philips spring in the FR watershed part. Its kind of a neat little spring. There is some really old stonework surrounding the spring in an 8 shape. The top of the 8 has the spring and the bottom is just a little pool with steps going in. I'm guessing the bottom was for bathing, the top for drinking. There is also a very large flat stone nearby, could be used for preparing meals or as a table. I would guess this was used for thousands of years by native americans. Its a neat place but I get a very weird vibe there, like I'm unwelcome.
    Where is this? PM if you like...Thanks

Sorry to throw fuel on the fire, but those of you who carry a gun on trails around here need to grow some balls, what are you afraid of? Coyotes? racoons? (Actually I think the scariest thing I've ever seen in the woods was a clearly rabid raccoon, wandering in circles in the middle of the day growling and making weird yelps) I think you watch too many movies. I'm all for gun rights but this isn't grizzly country people. I guess if you have a cool, expensive gun you've got to justify it somehow, but pulling it on an old lady, I mean come on, you're telling me you couldn't take down an old lady without a firearm?
    Since you decided to throw some fuel on the fire, here's the burn ( my response). I'm so glad that you decided to just throw out theories about me when one, you've never met me, and two, you know nothing about me.

1. I don't need to grow some balls, I can easily take of myself, my family, and my friends without firearms.
    2. What am I afraid of? Well for one, being out in the woods alone in the middle of the night and running into, the occasional poacher (like you did, I have as well), packs of homeless individuals (unfortuately there are 'tent cities' very close to the ST I ride), groups of young punks (doing who knows what in the woods), wolves (yes, wolves are in Massachusetts), jumping an occassional black bear (happened to me at least two times), knuckleheads wandering the woods in the middle of night (just once)......just to name a few.
    3. I think your comment about me is way off base concerning watching too many movies. I actually watch very little TV, some sports, and a lil news, that's about it. I'm glad you have facts to back up your assertion that I watch too many movies. I very rarely watch movies and haven't heard of a movie highlighting a gun totting mountain biker. Does sound like a perfect role for Mark Walberg, directed by Ben Afleck though.
    4. I don't have a cool, expensive gun and I don't feel I have to justify legally owning firearms by pulling them on anyone and anything. Most people I know have newer, flashier, more expensive bits on their bike than the firearm I occassionaly carry while riding.
    5. I agree with you that I could take down an older lady without a firearm
    6. Will I carry when I'm on a group ride at night with others? No way, no need to when I'm in a group.

To share a lil bit about myself, I work in the public safety field and my main goals are to assist the people I can when called upon, and to make it home to my family safely after every shift. Period! I've seen too many situations when seemingly good people are injured or worse because of either the careless, malicious, or foolish actions of others. My goal is to not become one of those statistics. I do what I need to do to protect myself and my family at all times..........Be it, staying in the best shape I can, working out, being up to date on close combat techniques and yes, sometimes legally carrying firearms.

In closing, I respect your opinions and thoughts. I respectfully disagree with most of them, but nonetheless, you have your right to your opinion. The one thing I ask before the next time you offer a public assumption about someone or a situation is, to make sure you have some facts to back up your opinion(s).

I wonder how many out there thought I was going to come out 'guns blazing' on Icecreamjay? No, I'm not a Kool Aid drinker who will just spit the generic NRA speech about the right to bear arms, blah, blah, blah, I chose to provide Icecreamjay with some insight, facts, and reasons as to why I make the decision(s) I do to protect myself when I'm out in the woods alone at night. I just told the story, he offered his opinions about me.

My main goal with this response was to defend myself against some inaccurate accusations. I could've come out 'guns blazing', shooting back, ripping on someone, being disrespectful to someone I don't know, making assumptions about someone I don't know, etc.. but I'll leave that to others. End of conversation in my book.

Rip it up out there!
    Last edited by antmav; October 25th, 2011 at 01:24 AM.
    Slaphead Mofo Leisure Team
    Sunday River Bike Park

BS - you were scared that googly-eyed old lady was gonna f you up.
    Slapheadmofo Leisure Team
    Sinister Bikes
    Wachusett Brewing
    Sunday River Bike Park

+ Reply to Thread