+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Bigfoot, UFO's, Black Helicopters, etc in New England riding spots

I tend to ride Freetown quite a bit and can attest to an unexplainable creepy feeling there. Just like Scott O I enjoy riding there because of the isolated back country feeling you get there. Though I never ride there without some "protection".

One story to share...I was riding on some single track one day and I heard an engine running. I was about a 1/4 mile from a fire road and the engine sound is getting closer. It is common to see the dirt bikers riding around but this wasn't a dirt bike it was a car or truck. It is getting closer so I stop and pull into the woods off of the single track. As I do this, a 4x4 Toyota comes bush-whacking through with 3 teenagers in it. They stop and ask me how long this trail is. So I let them know it goes on for at least a mile and that it gets really narrow in spots and there is no where to turn around. The driver says "oh" and one of the passengers says "dude, keep going". I said good luck, took off and then wondered if I would fail a drug test after passing through the cloud of weed smoke trailing them. Ride Freetown long enough and you'll definitely have a good story to tell your riding buddies.

Scott,
    Those stories bring back some fond/scary memories as well. I grew up in Wareham and rode in Freetown quite a bit. There were a few times I was ready to hunker down for the night after getting twisted around on that confusing web of trails. The only strange thing I saw out there was some sketchy guy walking down the double track with about five fishing rods........the guy stopped and asked me if it was hunting season. Guess that's how they roll (hunt) in dem dere woods. Insert Deliverance music now...........
    Slaphead Mofo Leisure Team
    Sunday River Bike Park

Goddamn! That was a freaky story Anmav. Well told. I got chased by a "crying" fisher cat in HP a few years ago while night riding solo. I don't night ride solo anymore!

I once got chased around a campfire by a drunken AntMav wearing a Crocs and a Brazilian soccer shirt and screaming something about 'heavy metal karaoke' and 'back-kicking f-ing hipsters'.

Scary but true.
    Slapheadmofo Leisure Team
    Sinister Bikes
    Wachusett Brewing
    Sunday River Bike Park

Anyone besides me kind of want to go ride Freetown more frequently now?
    blue Trek Fuel FS
    Red Subaru Forester

Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post
    I saw Mel Gibson during a night ride a few years back in the Notch in the Holyoke Range.....true story.
    That must have scared the s**t out of you!
    Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    Anyone besides me kind of want to go ride Freetown more frequently now?
    After reading this thread, I did want to head over there. Then I remembered that most of the trees are cut halfway up and my favorite trail is now an onramp.

I made the mistake of reading this thread before my first solo night ride of the season last night. It ended up being shorter than I planned on hahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by antmav View Post
    .....I started doing some mental math, reach in pack, grab you know what, be ready, etc.,....
    PS WTF is "you know what"? You packing heat on night rides?!

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Chocula View Post
    PS WTF is "you know what"? You packing heat on night rides?!
    I know a lot of guys that ride with either a knife or firearm when riding solo, especially at night. If I'm somewhere new or desolate without much traffic, I carry a S&W hunting knife.

I just want to be more like Paul Hogan.
    blue Trek Fuel FS
    Red Subaru Forester

+ Reply to Thread