+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bigfoot, UFO's, Black Helicopters, etc in New England riding spots

Default Bigfoot, UFO's, Black Helicopters, etc in New England riding spots

Anyone have any good stories of strange/unexplained happenings in your neck of the woods? Ever do a night ride near the old mental hospital in Belmont? Ever gone on a 20 mile solo ride in Freetown and been creeped out the whole time? Do you know anyone who's been abducted by a UFO? Or are all ghosts, bigfoots, ufo's, etc just pseudo science?

http://www.masscrossroads.com/bristol.html

A few years ago when I was heavy into endurance racing, I had to squeeze in my training rides around my work, husband, and Daddy duties. I would routinely head out for solo rides in the Summer and Fall between 9:00pm-10:00pm and not get back home until 1:00am-3:00am. I'd pack multiple batteries, a cell phone, and oh yea, something to protect myself. Ok, so there's the set-up.

I was out late one night out by the Dunstable/Groton line and I started to get that weird feeling. The night riders out there know what feeling I'm describing. This feeling was nothing new, I kind of looked forward to it. That weird/nervous/anxious feeling always forced me pick up my pace and focus on the trail. Now, throughout my late night/early morning riding years, I have 'jumped' my share of deer, seen glowing coyotes eyes in the distance, and have had owls swoop in front of me....none of this bothered me for more than a few seconds. I was way out in the middle of east BF, I'm guessing at least a couple of miles from the nearest paved road or house. I was riding along on a nice section of ST, and outta nowhere, this woman, an older woman wearing sunglasses, appeared in the middle of the trail in front of me. I almost S, I skidded to a stop and couldn't move. Stunned, with my lights blinding her, she said "Nice night for a ride". I couldn't get out any words.....in what seemed like minutes (but was probably just a few seconds) I finally muttered, "Yea, it is". She stood there just looking at me, not moving a muscle. I still couldn't move. I remember thinking to myself "Should I reach in my pack?" Instead, like a frozen tool, I kept blinding her with 700 lumens. She was standing no more than 25 feet in front of me without saying anything or moving for close to 45 seconds. I started doing some mental math, reach in pack, grab you know what, be ready, etc., I quickly figure out there was no way of getting in my pack and being ready in enough time if she ran towards me. That is when I got real nervous. She never said another word. This woman never looked down, looked away, or asked me to move my light out of her eyes.....not that I would have anyway. This woman was just standing in the middle of the trail starring at me. The woman started to slowly walk towards me. I quickly jumped off my bike, swung my pack around, looked down for a second, found the zipper and unzipped it, and reached in my pack. I looked up and the woman had her back to me. She was now probably standing no more than 20 feet away from me with her hands by her side. She stood there for at least 30 seconds without moving. She never said another word. She eventually started to move and walk away from me. She eventually walked out of my light beam and after a minute or so, I couldn't hear the sound of her walking away. I waited at that spot for a few more minutes trying to wrap my head around what just happened. When my heart rate finally came down, I picked up my bike, turned around, kept one hand on my protection, and one on the bars, and headed out the same way I came in.....as quickly as I could. I kept looking back foolishly. I kept thinking "Was this woman gonna jump me from behind".....ya know, like those cheesy horror flicks where the screaming woman is running pretty swiftly through the woods and the bad guy is walking at a snail's pace after her, only to catch. hahahahaha Only, I was playing the super hot scared blond, and this bizarre woman was playing the deranged serial killer. I finally found a paved road and ending up riding the roads the entire way home. Since that night, I still hate riding alone at night.

I've only told one other person this story. My buddy believes me (I think he does, but probably thinks I'm nuts) and told me I most likely ran across some lady wearing night vision goggles. I told him they weren't googles, they were sunglasses. He responded that she had to be wearing night vision eyewear which was equiped with some sort of bypass which wouldn't allow a large amount of light to blind her. He told me she probably saw me reaching in my bag, got spooked. and walked away. In any case, I still get goosebumps and the hair on the back of my neck sticks out when I think about it.

Thanks Scott for bringing this to the surface. hahahahahaha
    Last edited by antmav; October 4th, 2011 at 02:55 AM.
    Slaphead Mofo Leisure Team
    Sunday River Bike Park

Cool story. I always ride at night by myself and it creeps me out. It does make me ride faster so what evers chasing me won't catch me.

Great topic. And great story, antmav. I'm also often in the woods by myself in the dark. I've come across some very scary people out there - I think I'd rather see a ghost or bigfoot than a very wasted person with a rifle or a 3-guy-some.

I've done plenty of solo night rides. I know that nervous feeling that creeps in at times - keeps things interesting. Also the occasional close by leaf or branch that creates the "running" shadow in your peripheral vision.

I've never had any paranormal experiences (or even seen people on the trails other than riders), maybe the only weird thing that happened to me was during the 24 Hours of Great Glen last year - I was riding a night lap and a bat flew into my face - or maybe I rode into the bat. In either case It did give me the willies for a few moments.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Ahh, nice creepy story AntMav!

I don't do much dark riding, but I often find being behind McLean and around Metfern Cemetary in Belmont gives me the willies.
    blue Trek Fuel FS
    Red Subaru Forester

I saw Mel Gibson during a night ride a few years back in the Notch in the Holyoke Range.....true story.
    In some mysterious way woods have never seemed to me to be static things. In physical terms, I move through them; yet in metaphysical ones, they seem to move through me.
    John Fowles

In high school and college I lived in Manchester, NH and there were some trails that went close to the old YDC building. That place ALWAYS creeped me out even in the middle of the day. Especially the entrance to the basement tunnel.

Saw a guy cutting his own hair with large scissors at the top of McIntyre one time as well. Weird.

Ant with the win right there, A+! Insane story. Definitely one of those stories you want to tell people but you know they'll think you're nuts. It's pretty crazy, a grown man being afraid of an old woman, but given the circumstances, that is certainly terrifying.

I can't top it, but I've run into my share of weird things. Night riding solo is always an experience. I think twilight is the time that plays with your mind the most. I always tell myself that there is nothing to fear in the woods. There's no people out there, right. Any animals out here can't hurt me and they're gonna be trying to get out of my way. What's the worst thing that could happen? It's not like I'm going to see a dead body out here or anything.......DEAD BODY!!!!!!! Ah!!!! That's always when the log on the side of the trail looks like a dead body, giving you a huge blast of adrenaline.

I used to ride Freetown in southeast MA a lot, before it got chewed up by dirt bikes. I never knew the history of it (Indian legends, gang/drug murders, satanic cults..... http://www.masscrossroads.com/bristolfreetown) but loved how I could ride for hours and never see another person. Some of my buddies hated it, said it gave off a really weird vibe. That made me want to ride it more. I never experience anything like Antmav, but saw plenty of weird things. At one point on the Freetown map, there was a place marked 'pet cemetary'. This was deep in the forest, far from any paved roads. Buddy and I found ourselves there after a few hours of pedaling and went to check it out. As we approached it I got the sense something wasn't right. A bunch of the little headstones were tipped over. There were fresh piles of dirt all around. As we got closer we saw little coffins. Empty coffins. Ok, that was enough. At that point, we figured we wanted nothingh to do with any deranged individuals disturbed enough to be way out here spending their time with such bizarre activities. I hate Massachusetts satanists.

I've been lost in Freetown plenty of times. The place is huge and I'm often too stuborn to bring a map. I enjoy getting lost and finding my way out. A trail I was on once petered out into nothing and instead of backtracking, I decided to bushwhack to where I thought a trail might be. I soon find myself struggling through a nasty swamp, with very thick underbrush. I'd just seen the Blair Witch project and my mind was playing tricks on me and I kept thinnking I was seeing those weird little stick designs from the movie. It was mid winter and the late afternoon sun was sinking low. I was mentally preparing myself for a possible night stuck in the winter woods, missing a family function, with nobody having any idea where I was. With damp clothes, no emergency supplies, no lighter, this was either going to be a horrific night or my last night. The feeling of finding a trail as daylight was just about gone was unbelievable. Lesson learned, hopefully.

Another time I'd lost my sense of direction and came upon a pickup parked on the side of a dirt road. Someone was in it. Great. I'm out of water and out of food, so I'll swallow my pride and ask for the quickest way back to a road. I pull up and notice the person is taking a nap. Who takes a nap way out here? Well, I'm in a bit of a desperate situation so I tap on the window. Nothing. Tap again. Nothing. I start wrapping on the window and the person is not moving. This wasn't a biker, or hiker, or hunter. This person looked a bit off. I could see them breathing but they wouldn't wake up. I pounded on the roof, but then figured, this might not be the type of person I want to be dealing with, unless I was looking for some smack or a knife to the throat. I pedal off taking my chances of getting out on my own.

I know there's some other weird things I've seen in Freetown but my memory is a bit mushy these days. I do remember Buddy and I stopping at an intersection of some single track and a dirt road, taking a little breather. Soon we hear a car approaching. You don't see many cars out here, but sometimes hunters drive in for better access. But then we realize this car is screaming down the road and we can hear the tires spitting gravel everywhere. We decide to back way off the road and we soon see a pickup approaching. In it is a bunch of teens (those damn teenagers!). First thought is that they're just out in someone's car, messing around and driving like 17 year olds do. But as we watched the faces of the guys in the back of the truck go by, they didn't appear to be having fun. They were hanging on for their lives, looking terrified as their buddy put the pedal to the floor, speeding down this beat up road, way too fast to be safe. Weird. Why are they scared and driving so out of control? Then, we hear another car approaching. WTF? Now we back ourselves further into the woods off the trail. The next car comes spinning around the corner, pushing the limits of an old station wagon on a back road. We noticed a smashed out winshield as it gets closer. The driver is an older guy and his face is all bloody. This was not a happy looking and he was apparently hell bent on catching the kids. We just popped back deeper into the woods from there. I don't know who the good guys were here or who the bad guys were, but we really didn't have any interest in getting too involved. No idea what they did to him and no idea if he caught them, buut this certainly brings a strange vibe to a good Saturday afternoon ride.

Last one for now...Again, a solo trip down to Freetown. I decide that instead of parking at the main lot, I'll drive in to get some better access to the deeper areas of the forest. I park and I'm going through the motions of pumping up tires, etc, when I hear a car bombing towards me. I watch as it approaches and does a sweet Dukes of Hazard skid turn and it bangs a right as at very high speed. It looked to be some kind of under cover cop car. Soon another similar car flies down the same road, but this one stops where I am. An official looking type guy gets out and starts grilling me as to who I am, why I'm there, etc. WTF?!? REalizing I'm not a major threat, he explains that there is a felon on the loose in the area with a major man hunt in progress and I should vacate the area immediately. Huh? Uh, ok. No worries. As he drives off I contemplate my options. I just drove 45 min to get here, I'm already to go, and I'm pumped and jacked to ride. There are no options. I am riding, felons be damned. Soon I come across to other mtb'ers. I ask if they heard about the man hunt. They hadn't. I explain my run in with the cops and they seemed a bit freaked out as I pretended to be completely nonchalant. They decide to follow me around, which was fine by me. We never did come across the felon, but it was pretty cool to have the police copters buzzing over our heads, giving it a bit of a Hollywood feel. Ah, Freetown, my kinda town.

I'll save some bandwidth for anyone else with some stories for now.

(ps -Hey, in the trees - I think that might have been me cutting my hair.)

This is going to sound really, really weird and I think I've only told this to a few folks before but while we're sharing...

I was riding in Foxboro in the early 2000s after work one night in late summer/early fall. It was not quite dark enough for the lights, so I was riding in that quasi jedi flow state of mind in the near dark near the tower off of High Rock. I kept hearing some weird sh*t the further I got into the woods on the moto loop but chalked it up to kids partying or random weirdos. While making my way over towards one of the fireroad trails (Megley) I couldn't help but get seriously freaked out by the voices and overall weird a$$ vibe. As I made my way up a long loose double track I had to stop in my tracks and do a serious double take of the scene that was coming down the trail towards me. A handful of people in robes with torches coming down the hill and making a racket. Seriously, I'm not kidding. They were double timing it down the trail, and needless to say, I wasn't sticking around to ask what the heck was going on... I swiftly turned around, turned on my lights, and got the hell out there. Years later I learned about the "altar" in the forest and now I figure it had to be some sort of ceremony, (maybe a Wiccan slostice/seasonal thing?) as I was in the general vicinity of the altar area. Not knowing about this part of the park at the time it basically scared the crap out of me and anytime I did a solo night ride in Foxboro after that I stuck to other areas of the park.
    An ATV ate my llama.

Check out my dorky blog: http://mtbdee.blogspot.com/

I now sell and repair bikes for a living, I also live in a tent - coincidence? http://blackstonebicycles.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread