+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 650b front wheel/rim

Hybrid View

Default 650b front wheel/rim

I am thinking about going 650b on at least the front of my C'dale Rush. I have ordered a slightly longer rear shock and plan to modify the swing arm on the back to bring the back end up a bit. The result should be better roll over, slightly higher BB and steeper HTA and a little plusher in the back. It should be fun.

I am looking for an inexpensive 650b QR front wheel or rim. Deore hub/Sun eq27 rim is the price point I will be looking at if I go new. Even a cheap, used hub might be useful.

Hey, if you had a Prophet you could do front/back with no mods At some point I may try it on mine.

Check the MTBR web site and you may find something or maybe Dave at Rockland Cycle. I think he's played around with some 650B stuff and may have something. Last time I was in there he had a 650B Velocity rim we were playing with. Perhaps he would unload it for a decent price. Not to mention he's a good wheel builder.

I was thinking about getting a used small Rush for my daughter. What do you think, good idea? They are a bit heavy but I think I could get it down to the 27lb range without going crazy. What's yours weigh?

There are people putting 650b front and back on the rush as well, but the 2.35x650b doesn't fit well. Since the 2.1x650b isn't actually much taller than the 2.35x26 that I am running now, and I like the the 28psi that I can get away with now in the back I don't want to change that.

I have no idea what my bike weighs. I'm 6'2" and 210# so I don't get too fussed about a few pounds +/- on a bike. I really love to ride my rush, but it was my first new bike in 10-yrs, replacing a hardtail with rim brakes and an elastomer fork. Needless to say I find it amazing.

Inquire with the guys at www.bikeman.com about a front wheel. They are very 650b friendly!

The Prophet works well with 650b wheels, I slapped the wheelset from my Beasely on my Cannondale for a few rides and liked it quite a bit. The Prophet is an awesome all 'rounder.

BTW - If anyone wants a large 2008 Prophet 3 frame, and a QR Fox Vanilla R let me know. I haven't listed mine yet but will soon. Likely selling the frame, fork, headset, front derailleur and seat post collar for ~ $600 (350 frame, 250 fork). I just rebuilt the fork in late October (new wiper seals and oil).
    An ATV ate my llama.

Check out my dorky blog: http://mtbdee.blogspot.com/

I now sell and repair bikes for a living, I also live in a tent - coincidence? http://blackstonebicycles.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread