Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
I am very close to pulling the trigger on a MET parachute helmet from chain reaction cycles.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=17687

they are 135 plus 23.85 shipping from england. but it's free shipping if you spend 250. anyone else want one? or anything else from that site? i will get a large red.

I crashed onto my face recently. not bad, but it could have been VERY bad. i can deal with scrapes, etc on my shins and elbows, but not on my teeth...

I have one...
It has been USED, and earned its keep on the protection roster...
I paid $200+ 2 years ago...

I would add that, although I was wearing my MET Parachute at the time of an intimate kiss of a tree (after landing a smaller huck for the third time, only the last time was slightly 'canted' towards the nearest tree), my upper and lower lips were split open and required stitches {7+upper and 5+lower/inner}...

I would NOT Want to go through the same incident without a chin bar!!!
{Alright, I don't want to do it EVER Again!!!}
Who knows if there would have been even more facial damage {Likely!}...
I would rather have had my Deviant on for the incident, but that helmet is rather warm pre-impact even though it has some of the biggest and most numerous venting of the dedicated full-face mtb helmets out there (that I have seen so far), so it doesn't get as much use...

If no one else pulls the trigger... I may get a second/replacement MET Parachute...

I know that I cannot (allow myself to) ride without a full-face helmet while off-road...
I use a Specialized Deviant for Cooler/Winter, Downhill, or more risky rides...

On the Protection topic... I would like to add that {obvious} statement about, "an ounce of protection", (or a grand {$1000}) and what that is all worth...
Pay for the protection (and use it!) AHEAD of time!
The unknown savings of Ambulance/EmergencyRoom/Surgery/etc. makes it worth it by a looong shot!
Never mind the hassle, lost work, lost opportunities, lost income, insurance paperwork, missed rides, explanations, pain, limping, assistance needed, atrophy, eating(drinking) through a straw, _________________, etc...

{Seeing as I ride beyond my ever expanding abilities}
I (almost) ALWAYS Ride with Knee/Shin Pads, and Ankle Pads (Soccer $10)...
The TLD Lopes Signature Knee Pad system is pretty darn good! I have a comparable combination...
Mostly worn for knee/bar/shifter protection, but beneficial in falls as well...
I am getting (661 or comparable) Wrist Brace/Palm Pads...
Mechanics have a few Gloves with very good Palm Pads and acceptable knuckle protection...
I often ride with Elbow Pads... Frequently with a Fox Launch long-sleeved Suit with Padding/Armour integrated in he Forearm/Elbow/Bi/Shoulder/Back/Kidney/Chest...
Padded Shorts (Hips/Tailbone/Thighs) are used when DH/FR/XSe...

And a motorcross MX motorcycle helmet and a bunch of Hockey and Lacrosse Gear if I want to start trying Flips and other 'stupid' stuff, maybe DHRacing...

I was thinking about a using Lacrosse Helmet with the Ti Face Cage for the anti-tree kissing protection, as well as branches and rocks and birds and bike parts and sassy squirrels and...

Well... Hopefully, the idea has struck you well enough such that if/when you crash, you will (not) notice pain, in any way, no matter what you have struck...

{I may have to re-read and rewrite this... Hopefully you get the gist...
Any questions, feel free to call me...
Also call me for RIDES!
Brett 860-667-1111}

“Wicked Ride of the East” Sunday October 25th 9am Harold Parker State Forest, Berry Pond Recreation Area, North Andover Mass 2009

Hartford Cyclocross Sunday October 25th 2009