+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rear wheel for sale or recommondations?

Hybrid View

Question Rear wheel for sale or recommondations?

The rear wheel on my Cannondale Prophet is just about dead after 4 seasons. So I'm looking for a disc compatible wheel that is light (<1000g) but strong enough for moderate jumps/drops (5' max). Right now I'm looking at the Mavic Crosstrail disc. Does anyone have one to sell, have experience with the wheel, or have any other recommondations?

Thanks,
    Kevin

One thing on the Mavics - if you go with one, see if they're still doing the warrantee thing...you pay a percentage extra and they cover them for a couple years for pretty much anything you can possible do to them besides having them stolen. I've got a couple free rebuilds w/ fresh rims and spokes already after trashing the originals; pretty sweet deal.
    Slapheadmofo Leisure Team
    Sinister Bikes
    Wachusett Brewing
    Sunday River Bike Park

I think thats a great point Slappy; Mavic is I *think* the only company that will service there pre-built wheels. You also have to run there hub on there pre-builts; so if you decide to get a 20mm up front you will also need to get a new rim. One of my friends just ran in to that with one of there wheels sets...

OK, now I REALLY need a new rear wheel. Mine has started skipping and is only getting worse. At first I thought it was just jumping gears but now it is clear the freewheel is letting go.

So anyone have a wheel to sell me?

can you just replace the freehub body? if it is shimano, the freehub is ~$35.

Well, the rim is dented and out of true, and the bearings are grinding. On top of that it seems like I'm breaking one of the non straight pull spokes once a month. Five seasons is enough for one wheel.

+ Reply to Thread