+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Mixed Breed Puppy

Hybrid View

Default Looking for a Mixed Breed Puppy

Let me know if you know of any. Thanks.
    If you didn't build the trail, don't mess with it.

Adopt from a rescue organization or shelter.

That's expensive these days. $300 plus!!! What are these organizations thinking? Can't be good for placement. There has got to be a better way. I am trying to cut-out the middle rescue lady and find an unplanned litter someone maybe strapped with.

They've gotta pay their bills too. Have you checked around completely? $300 does sound a bit high - maybe you can find a rescue organization that has "foster homes" - those can keep costs down because they don't need a kennel facility.

Good luck!

$300 is a little steep, what rescue outfit is that? You could try this website :

http://www.petfinder.com
    Don't blame me --I voted for Kerry Healey

Petfinder's a great site. You'll want to concentrate on local pounds rather than 'rescue' operations. We tried the 'rescue' route and it was a complete PIA. Multi-page applications, all sorts of prerequisites (5' fence area attached to the house, no kids under x years, etc), interviews, on and on and on. Then a lot of them brought dogs up from the south, so you're expected to take a dog in that you've never even met in some cases. It was like trying to adopt a frikking kid. 4 months in, we still hadn't even seen a real live dog (nor got return calls or emails from most of the places we contacted.) Finally gave up and paid a few hundred at the Sterling Shelter and got an awesome dog. They've always got tons of pups too.

www.sterlingshelter.org
    Slapheadmofo Leisure Team
    Sinister Bikes
    Wachusett Brewing
    Sunday River Bike Park

It's discouraging. I lost my Rottie a year and a half ago and was surprized at the expense of the shelters(NH-Cocheco & Stratham). A friend checked the shelters and left kind of angry at the way they're running now. Then he checked online and found a couple mixed breed puppies for two hundred dollars each on Craig's List. The owner had only the two left that he took. Seems high for mutts but the price at the shelters have created this increased price in purchasing a dog. Now the vets are getting big money also. The same friend had to take his dog in for an emergency and it was $800 for an overnight visit. Another friend took in their cat and it was $680 for an overnight stay. With all the rate increases I'm staying away from the pet thing. I'm sad because I've had dogs all my life. Times are changin'.

Default Right on!

Slappy nailed it!!! Perfect recap!!!

Told my daughter we had to wait until all vacations were over then we could get a puppy. It's been a couple weeks now and totally frustrated... The wife is staying after it and we are no longer thinking we will be getting the puppy anytime real soon. Sure is teaching the daughter patients and how to keep your expectations low. She is being very good through this.

Heard good things about Sterling (but they are demanding too) and we are pursuing Bandit's Place, as well. These "rescue" people sure are righteous... I could really start bashing... They want copies of mortgage statements, 5' fences, no kids, whole family attendance to adopt.............................. A couple fees around $150-200, but most are $300 - $400+

Reading articles about the "no-kill" places and how bad it is for a dog to spend a lot of time couped up without much human intervention. The article says that euthanizing is more humane at some point. Who's righteous now.. IDK

And now huge fees for boutique mutts... lab-or-doodles ...cocka-poos...

I like a good old fashioned happy-dog mutt.

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by TheHare; August 14th, 2007 at 09:07 PM.

I have to wonder sometimes how many of these shelter dogs are essentially being sentenced to death because of the high "rescue" fees prohibiting people who otherwise would from adopting.
    Don't blame me --I voted for Kerry Healey

Still no luck with a younger, non aggressive breed. Tons of Pit-bull mixes around. Beautiful, but... And we have been looking at even the high dollar "rescues". Totally frustrated. Please keep an eye out for us. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread