Looking for a guide to Massasoit next Saturday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a guide to Massasoit next Saturday

I registered for the Massasoit Lung Opener at the end of this month, but I've never ridden the trails there. I was really hoping to get a ride in on the trails before the actual race. Would anybody be willing to give me a tour of the place?

I can't find a map of the route, but the ride certainly doesn't have to be along the race route. I'd like to check out the trails, and get a feel for the area if possible.

I think next Saturday (the 21st) would be the only time that I could get there. If someone is willing, I can be flexible on timing. Alternately, I'd be happy to join a group if there's a regular Saturday ride. Thanks!

The course is in great shape and currently has some temporary yellow blazes on the trees for anyone interested in pre-riding. Keep the marks on your right as you make a large (7.1 mile) clockwise loop. The start is at the gate house and follows the pavement to the first field (about a π mi.) on the left. Enter the woods here to find the race course.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I may try to do that. If anybody else is interested in meeting up and riding there, let me know.

Comment

The course is marked with yellow blazes.... found that out AFTEr my ride there yesterday... doh. I may be back to ride again - not sure when though.
        www.webike-bikeyou.blogspot.com

Comment

I found a GPS track of last years route: http://www.crankfire.com/map/load/ao/7439. I was thinking of doing a test ride this weekend as well, but the weather looks dicey and my commuting tires are probably too slick for any mud.

Comment

Well, if the weather situation changes, coremac, and you're interested in meeting up, let me know.

Comment

I've seen some promising weather reports for Saturday morning, so I am going to try and make a go of it tomorrow. Since I'll only be interested in the beginner race, I am going to see if I can wake up, gear up, and get to the address on the website by 9:00 AM (May be a tall order for a Saturday).

For anyone enabled and interested, I will tweet progress @koremac. I don't tweet much, so I won't clog any timelines.
              Last edited by coremac; April 20th, 2012, 06:42 PM.

Comment

As a matter of full disclosure, I've only had my bike for about a month, it has a couple of mechanical glitches i am waiting to work out, I probably don't yet have all the gear that I should, and for extraneous reasons my riding has been infrequent for the last couple of weeks. In short, it could be a slow, frustrating ride.

On the other hand, there may be some mild amusement when I inevitably wipe out.

Comment

The forecast has taken a turn for the better. I'm willing to roll the dice. I'll do my best to get to the lot and be ready to ride, coremac. I'll send you a tweet, and maybe we can ride together.

Comment

Lung Buster Course

Since I had nothing better to do with the rest of the day, I decided to go back and try to cover the race course again, this time following just the yellow tags and the GPS track from the previous year (Ended getting the hang of it on second attempt). I posted a track of the course to Everytrail. I think I even found the marker that added the extra 2+ miles to our ride, according to your Strava track. I'm fairly certain on the second trip I didn't cover the bridge where Greg's derailleur broke, or two of the bastard hills that no one got up. Have fun at the race.

Comment

Thanks Justin. I can't believe that you had the legs to do that again! As far as the route goes, I'm really hopefully that it's marked better this weekend. It was really hard to follow, and we were going at a leisurely pace. If I'm pedaling as hard as I can, I can't imagine being able to follow it at all.

Comment

The coarse will be well marked so don't worry about that. and those two "bastard Hills" are both rideable...just saying

Comment

That's good to know that the course will be well marked. And serious kudos if you can make it up those hills…yikes.

Comment

I think this tree is where we went wrong on the first ride which lead to the extra 2 miles, broken dérailleur, and the worst of the hills. I don't remember seeing any yellow markings after turning left at this tree, but found two after, eventually, turning right. It might help to put a larger yellow mark on the tree, since the other one at the turn is easy to miss.
                            Last edited by coremac; April 25th, 2012, 09:49 PM.

Comment

I had to stop a lot to check the GPS, which was pretty annoying when I had momentum. I'm now pretty sure I could get through the course without getting lost, which might be a slight advantage in the beginner race.

I did, however, not move on Sunday. At all.

On a tangential note, I assume since they weren't tinted, the glasses you ride with are prescription. Do you remember what make and model they are? I'd like to get something similar so that if I wipe out bad enough it doesn't keep me from earning a living.

Comment

Working...
                              X