X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edge 500 and...garmin connect or strava or both

OK,

so hogboy is triple motivated to ride like no other time in his history

and haz a new garmin edge 500 for all the bikes (sick of half dozen cheezy velo 5)

which is the best site for upload and download of loops ?

garmin connect, strava, or basically use both ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Goodbye,
    (4S,4aR,5S,5aR,6R,12aS)-4-(dimethylamino)- 3,5,10,12,12a-pentahydroxy- 6-methyl- 1,11-dioxo- 1,4,4a,5,5a,6,11,12a-octahydrotetracene- 2-carboxamide.
    You won't be missed.

I have the 500 as well... very sweet item!!

I started with garmin connect, recently got in on strava and am absolutely loving it!! BUT, I still upload to both.... but in all honesty, I seem to focus more on strava than connect. The whole KOM and segments on strava just add another motivator when looking over your rides.
    www.webike-bikeyou.blogspot.com

Comment

connect is a bit more robust on data breakdown etc. and strava has a much better social aspect. My guess is you will end up using both here and there depending on what your needs are for that ride.

I use Strava more often than not but sometimes for specific rides I will use connect for certain aspects of data that you can get there that you don't get at Strava.
      http://www.cnhnemba.org

http://manarea.blogspot.com

Comment

Also check out Ride with GPS (www.ridewithgps.com). It is free with a basic account that gets you lots of features. The optional paid plans will give you access to more features.

I prefer the sites ride data breakdown, mapping features and ride log. Like Strava it gives you the ability to track bike usage if you are into that. I find this feature useful to keep track of how many miles it has been since I replaced a chain, cassette, tires....etc.

Comment

well thanks everyone. I got it now.

1) just go do some rides
          2) always just upload data to 2 sites, maybe three. free sites
          3) repeat
          4) learn the unit by using it
          5) download or upload courses
          6) race/ride against myself virtual partner (which is ideal due to my knee problem ruling my power output for the time being)

and if I get my fitness back, try for some segments or KOM
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Goodbye,
          (4S,4aR,5S,5aR,6R,12aS)-4-(dimethylamino)- 3,5,10,12,12a-pentahydroxy- 6-methyl- 1,11-dioxo- 1,4,4a,5,5a,6,11,12a-octahydrotetracene- 2-carboxamide.
          You won't be missed.

Comment

I've been using a Garmin 705 with the 24k topo pack for a few years now, the garmin connect site is crappy, but it has the best collection of trails to download. I looked at strava and it seemed more focused on the roadie scene (not a problem since I swing that way too from time to time). I think the NEMBA site should have a spot for us to post gpx files, it's free content right?

Comment

everytrail.com has the best website that I've seen.. you can use their app, or not, site is free and they don't constantly drill you for upgrades as there aren't any.. you get everything for free. imports, exports,... you can purchase "trips" but you don't have to...
              Always wear a Helmet and Glasses when riding!!

Southeastern CT NEMBA with trial locations, trail reports, and list of local events...
              www.sectnemba.org
              SECT NEMBA on Facebook..
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/585044744912146/

Comment

Strava

yay for motivating me to keep hammering. I am seeing that I am getting my legs back [but still suck], so I plow on....food/rest/hammer/repeat

BOO for not being able to resolve tight singletrack. I am trying my damnedest to do certain segments and time is
                all over the place on some... as Strava thinks I am still on a segment when I am already done and onto another trail.

Also seeing some impossibru KOM on some segments that literally, cannot be done, yet Strava can log an insane time for
                rider X that no one could come close to, unless their GPS also has the same offset error at that time and place. Strava on
                the trail is best for trails the do not double-back or switchback too much, otherwise the segment is useless
                Goodbye,
                You won't be missed.

Comment

Working...
                X