No announcement yet.

Large Riders - What seat post do you use?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Riders - What seat post do you use?

Yesterday I saw that my seat post is noticeably bent back. It's enough that I can not push the post in past where it currently is. This is an Easton EA50 350 length 27.2 post that I bought new early this year (May/June) when my bike's original post bent about 45 back after a poor landing off a tiny drop. It's not top of the line, but it should last more than 3-4 months.

The first one I chalked up to the fact that I was riding with it right at the min insertion line. The Easton, however, is a lot longer, had a lot more post in the frame, and was not at min insertion.

I ride a lot of XC, including moderate obsticles, but I'm not into big stunts, freestyle, dirt jumping, or anything else that would obviously overstress the bike. I'm sure switching to a full suspension frame would help, but in the meantime I'd like to get a seat post that lasts an entire season.

I'm 6'4", so I need to raise the seat quite a bit, but I'm not heavy for my height - 195-205lbs. I've seen plenty of riders closer to 250. What are those guys using?

I'm 6'2" and this is the first season I have not bent a post; I'm running a thomson post and I think its the only post to run if you don't want to bend it.
    Last edited by agabriel; September 14th, 2009, 12:53 PM.

I have to aqree with agabriel... I have bent quite a few seatposts,until I bought a Thomson Elite seatpost. They have an oval design inside for extra stength... heavy duty for sure.
      Last edited by bikerzim; September 15th, 2009, 11:34 AM.

seat post

Thompson, thompson. thompson it will be the last seat post you buy. I have one on my Kona Dawg, it works well and keeps my slim 230 # lard butt out of trouble. Landing off your seat and weight on the pedals. right? It also has these great mico adjusters to dial in angle just right.
        SS rule the dirt!

As far as I'm concerned, there is only one seat post to buy at any price. Thompson.

One on every bike I ride, and I wouldn't have it any other way. 27.2 x 400? on a bunch of them. With lots of post exposed 34-35" inseam.
          PVNEMBA - Riding at its BEST

Sounds like I need to start shopping around for a Thompson.

Originally posted by leebo View Post
            Landing off your seat and weight on the pedals. right?
            Yeah, though the landing that took out my original post I remember as being a bit of a taint tapper.

I agree that a Thompson is probably the best if its in your budget.

I'm over 250lbs and use a Race Face evolve DH post which is pretty inexpensive and has held up with no problems for almost 2 years

Thomson (no P) works well for me. Also had good luck with Raceface.
                "Everyone I know in bicycling is at least a little bit crazy, present company included." Sheldon Brown

Just make sure the RaceFace post has two bolts on top. I had a single bolt RaceFace post that I broke probably 10 bolts on it before giving up and getting a Thomson.
                  Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Dean has a nice Ti post if you can live without setback. You'll need to use shims for most bikes. I think it will never bend, though.

They've been talking about a setback version for years, but no go yet.