Luv?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luv?

anyone have experience with the Luv bars?

these are the ti version.

Click image for larger version

Name:	72880eaadc3ba404b1457fab22efa889.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	14512
    HIS and HERS Energy Efficiency
    Supporting homeowners, builders, and designers with energy code compliance and incentive programs

Meh. I tried riding a backsweep ahwile back, in my opine it just doesn't work for New England. It's good set up in less technical terrain, like in Socal. But out here, you're back over the saddle so much you'll find your hands sliding off the handlebars. Looks cool on MTBR though.

Comment

I don't agree with Evil Chocula. I don't have the Luv Handles but I do own a pair of Ragley Carnegies and love them. I believe they are a little wider than the luv handles at 27.5 wide but with a similar back sweep. I ride at Foxboro, Nam, Big River, Arcadia and all the usual places in New England on my single speed and feel they are perfect "For Me".

Comment

I'l second the Carnegie bars for SS. Been using them for 3 seasons. Climbs seem easier as you can pull the bars in while honking uphill, fast swoopy singletrack, techy stuff, rocks, roots and never once have my paws slipped off the ODI BMX grips. Bonus - With less than 60% range of motion in my left wrist ( mostly bone on bone w/ a smidgen of cartlidge),the Carnies are pure bliss on the wrists. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

I have been hanging on to the soma clarence, like the on one Mary, but a bit heavier and longer. I really like the sweep. I cannot go back to straighter bars.

Comment

how do big sweep "alt bars" effect handling on tight inclines? for downhills and cruising, the comfort seems luxurious yet on the tight stuff it may be different.
            can you throw your weight forward as much to gain momentum?
            How does the sweep effect traction?
            Supporting homeowners, builders, and designers with energy code compliance and incentive programs

Comment

The biggest issue with all these funky bars is the limiting of how far from the bar-end you can put the brake levers. Big hands - impossible to get comfortable braking.
              PVNEMBA - Riding at its BEST
              http://www.facebook.com/CharlemontTrails

Comment

Tight inclines, techy inclines, traction control is all there - just gotta get your groove on! It took me a couple of good solid 2+ hours rides before I felt all warm & fuzzy with the Carnies.

Comment

Originally posted by bc View Post
                  Tight inclines, techy inclines, traction control is all there - just gotta get your groove on! It took me a couple of good solid 2+ hours rides before I felt all warm & fuzzy with the Carnies.
                  As bc stated it does take a couple of hours to get use to the bars but only 2 hours. They must be a good bar because they sell out every time they become available on www.chainreactioncycles.com and that is the only place that I know of that you can purchase them here in the states. They also got a good write up in www.twentynineinches.com But in the end it is up to what you like on your bike and what works best for you.

Comment

I want 28" Ti Luv bars.. but at $300, gonna have to wait a while. Radley Carnegies are $70...that's worth trying.
                    Yet when it comes down to design and style, the slightly extended 28" (711mm) version of the Groovy Luvs have my heart won.

Comment

I ran a similar bar (Mary) for more than one season on my SS. I liked it (esp. w/a rigid fork), but as my SS riding improved, I fitted my bike up with a 120mm fork, and my riding started including more progressive/tech, I felt the need to switch back. I feel better control on those super steep drop-ins, more confidence when the tires leave the ground, and for some reason I never returned to the Mary bar; something just felt better/more familiar about a nice 29" wide 9 deg sweep bar. YMMV
                      "Everyone I know in bicycling is at least a little bit crazy, present company included." Sheldon Brown

semass

Comment

That's cuz you a beast gobbling up all the techy stuff,drops & skinnies which us mere mortals still try but fail more often than succeed. Although my shins are usually bloodied & are forever scarred -at least my wrists are happy ;>)

Comment

CP- from what i've read 'alt' bars may be best suited for rigid, and certainly less travel than 120mm.
                          Just speculation- and I think in agreement with your statement above- having big sweep with big travel seems like your body position will be rendered super funky on technical stuff. With rigid, at least you can subconsciously anticipate the geometry and corresponding body position changes, without travel changing it up.

Comment

Originally posted by nembacil View Post
                            CP- from what i've read 'alt' bars may be best suited for rigid, and certainly less travel than 120mm.
                            Just speculation- and I think in agreement with your statement above- having big sweep with big travel seems like your body position will be rendered super funky on technical stuff. With rigid, at least you can subconsciously anticipate the geometry and corresponding body position changes, without travel changing it up.
                            Yup, there's a compromise either way really, I'm not sure travel has much to do with it though.

I suppose another way of looking at it (from my POV) is if your riding style & corresponding body position lends itself to XC/trail riding, I find this position puts you mostly in a seated position or only when standing to put power to the pedals for uphill grinds. A bar like the Luv or Mary with lots of sweep "tightens up your cockpit" and will lend itself to a fit that has a high degree of ergonomic feel over the bike.

If, OTOH, your riding style is more technical/aggro and you find yourself moving around a lot in the cockpit as you attack differing terrain/obstacles ~ both standing and sitting, a bar with too much sweep limits your movement around the cockpit a bit (I sometimes hit my knee on the bar end when attacking a steep technical climb that included a turn). A wide bar (27-30"), with somewhere between 6 & 9 deg of sweep opens up the cockpit a bit and allows better movement over the bike to better compliment a technical/aggro riding style.
                            "Everyone I know in bicycling is at least a little bit crazy, present company included." Sheldon Brown

semass

Comment

Interesting yet provocative analysis C.P

Riding singlespeed fully rigid, I suspect, would fall under the technical/aggro approach- though new to SSing I already find myself always moving around, launching into tight sections, and constantly shifting position. Yet it seems the big-sweep 'alt' bars are used largely by SSers..not the more stable, XC/trail riding, so... I don't really follow your analysis.

Comment

Working...
                              X