Where to start with racing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start with racing

I'm looking for some additional challenge this year with my riding, and it seems like giving racing a shot might be fun. I've never done any racing, so I don't even know where to begin. Right now, I'm picturing picking 2-3 races from the schedule, train as much as I can (which will undoubtedly be less than I want) and give it a go.

Anybody have suggestions? What pitfalls should I avoid? I'm thinking the Weeping Willows and Landmine Classic, as I've heard they they are good 1st timer races, but any other suggestions? I'd really appreciate any advice you seasoned veterans might have.

Both the races you mention are good places to start. Register for the "beginner" category (now called Cat 3 for USA cycling) for your 1st race regardless of how much you have ridden in the past, it is the only way to know where you are in relation to competition. Have fun and dont take it too serious.

http://www.efta.com/content/category/8/26/48/

http://www.root66raceseries.com/

Comment

Glad to hear you are getting into racing! It's helpful to make yourself a check list of what you need for the race and orgainize your stuff in advance. Bring a tube, pump (or CO2), multitool and hydration. Figure out if you are doing laps or just 1 big lap. Bike reg and the race flyer can help you figure this out. The early season races can be chilly, so if you do laps, you can drop clothing at the lap point or grab extra hydration if you need it. Give yourself time to check in. Even if you sign up early, you'll need to get a number plate. Have cash, no cards at the race. If you can, eat what you think you'll eat before your race, then go ride the same length as the race in advance. See how your stomach feels and adjust accordingly. Remember the port-a-potty lines can be long, so get that out of the way. When it's your time to get started, take a deep breath and ride your race, don't worry about the other people! It sounds like a lot, but it's fun and you'll meet some great people along the way. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. That sounds like a good start. I wouldn't say that I'm the most competitive person, but part of that is the stress of having to perform. What I really enjoy is progressing and pushing myself. I think if I can relax, and race for my own reasons, I'll be able to enjoy it.

Comment

I'm probably the same way, but once they say go.....It's a different story. You'll find speed you never knew you had and it hurts getting there. Enjoy it and don't forget to post your results!

Comment

Originally posted by cross32 View Post
            I'm probably the same way, but once they say go.....It's a different story. You'll find speed you never knew you had and it hurts getting there. Enjoy it and don't forget to post your results!
            I will certainly do my best to do both of those things. Thanks!

Comment

Weeping Willow would be an excellent 1st time race as it has the most 1st timers every year. I would register Novice and as soon as registration opens. Plans are to cap the race at 400. With this being a well populated race you will get to experience the joys of mountain bike racing at its best.
              "Age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill"

Comment

Working...
              X