X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Ring Rumpus Recap

Another doozy for me...

I had slated this weekend as a high mileage training fest because the format of the Rumpus doesn't exactly fit my characteristics...a power plant I am not. So Saturday was a 32mi adventure ride followed by 28mi at the Rumpus.

32 tough miles isn't the best prep for a 28mi dirt time trial but I am building for July so I figured I'd have a go of it and hurt a tad.

I geared all wrong, I had joked about running 32/16 on the 29er but thought it would be a bit stiff for 28mi but I was wrong. The 32/18 I had was no where near enough and some guys were running SS cross bikes with 39 and 44 tooth rings up front. I waved goodbye to them very early. I also threw my chain early on in lap one (probably because I was spinning like a maniac) and waved goodbye to everyone else. So I just set to drilling away at my tempo ride. I settled into 15-17min laps which got me lapped by other SSers on lap 6.

I kinda wished I had pushed a little harder because the skies opened up and the wind started howling on my last lap. I narrowly missed getting crushed by a huge blowdown that fell across the trail maybe 30ft in front of me...yikes! I spent the rest of that lap listening intently for falling trees and riding through huge flash flood puddles.

I'm really glad we didn't touch any of the singletrack yesterday because it would be in worse than rough shape today.

I think I saw Shawn cruising by during the Sport race and I met Al as he was heading out before my start so a decent showing by team NEMBA. Hopefully you guys had a better go of it than me. I am looking forward to the Pinnacle this weekend, that course is more in line with my particular skill set.

How were things down at Domnarski Farm??
    http://www.cnhnemba.org

http://manarea.blogspot.com

Comment

Domnarski was greasy, muddy and wet. It poured 30 minutes before I got there and that pretty much set the expectation for the course. I did a 2 miles to check it our and realized I was geared wrong. Should have been 32:22 but I was running 32:20 which I what I rode at Massasoit. I would have climbed better.

Otherwise it was fun. Three of there, include Art Roti and Matt (don't remember last name).
      My club: CT NEMBA
      My Blog: CycleSnack
      My Trail: The Upper Gussy Trail

Comment

good day at Domnarski

Somehow the rain held off the whole time but still slick. Great course and very well run. It was a pleasure meeting Mark and Art. Looking forward to seeing some more NEMBA racers soon!

Comment

fast, fast, fast... Tough luck on the SS, not an easy race to calculate gearing. There is some scientific way to figure it out, but i'm not sure what that is.

I had a good race. Hammer down for 1:28. The one thing with a flat course unlike a "normal" race course. There is no rest, may the best heart and lungs win. Finished 6th in sport Vet. Had 4th place locked up till about a mile into lap 5 when a group of 8 vet 1's and 2's caught up. So I jumped on the wheel of the last guy to get the benefit of a draft. "yes there was drafting in sport" Got back to the front and did my pull, then to the back. Guy in front lost it in the mud creating the chain reaction behind. Lost the wheel of the paceline and couldn't get back on with less that 1/4 of a mile.. figure it could have lost me 2 places. But that's racing. Waiting for the overall to come out.

Comment

Originally posted by bikesmith74 View Post
            I had a good race. Hammer down for 1:28.
            where was this?
            My club: CT NEMBA
            My Blog: CycleSnack
            My Trail: The Upper Gussy Trail

Comment

Big Ring Rumpus in Auburn NH.

Comment

fast, fast, fast... Tough luck on the SS, not an easy race to calculate gearing. There is some scientific way to figure it out, but i'm not sure what that is.

I had a good race. Hammer down for 1:28. The one thing with a flat course unlike a "normal" race course. There is no rest, may the best heart and lungs win. Finished 6th in sport Vet. Had 4th place locked up till about a mile into lap 5 when a group of 8 vet 1's and 2's caught up. So I jumped on the wheel of the last guy to get the benefit of a draft. "yes there was drafting in sport" Got back to the front and did my pull, then to the back. Guy in front lost it in the mud creating the chain reaction behind. Lost the wheel of the paceline and couldn't get back on with less that 1/4 of a mile.. figure it could have lost me 2 places. But that's racing. Waiting for the overall to come out.
                Rubbin's racin

Comment

Great day at the Pinnacle!

Trails were a bit greasy, but that just added to the intrigue. I felt ok after the start, well as ok as you can feel pushing a SS up those climbs with no warm up. Was trucking along (with no bike issues for once!) heading into the beginning of the 3 straight miles of singletrack descending when I clipped a stump with my rear wheel trying to take an inside line to make a pass and went a$$ over tea kettle and flying into the woods.

NEMBA teammate Shawn had just caught me and said it looked pretty good unfortunately he couldn't get his GoPro working prior to the race otherwise there would have been footage. (btw hell of a ride Shawn, catching Experts on lap one and taking the win in Sport Vet I)

I didn't notice at the time but the short time I spent inverted heading into the woodlands was enough to dislodge my only bottle. No cytomax for me...kind of ruined my chances to really take things up a notch and catch anybody after that. A lack of calories will do that. I avoided the bonk by taking the climbs on the conservative side and just trying to go as fast as possible on the descents. Could have had a worse day at the office so I'm happy.

Didn't catch anyone else (although looking at the results there was another SS just a minute up! grrrrr) but nobody else caught me, ended up 7th out of ?? starters (we mass started with the Elites so I had no clue who was what) If I had to guess I would say 10-15. Also saw NEMBA riders Mark and Michael(?) not sure if I got that name right but I believe he put up a strong ride in the Novice Junior class.

Hopefully everyone else had a great weekend of riding as well! See you on the trails...

Comment

Another sizzler at the Horror!

I hate heat. I prefer nice Belgian weather. I felt pretty strong yesterday though despite the heat but I yet again suffered another bottle incident that cost me. This season has been the year of 'can't quite put it all together' for me.

I was in a group of about 4-5 SS'ers through most of the first lap and things were going well. Heading down one of the faster, rocky descents. The one where all the lines were obscured by sun/shadows coming through the trees, my rear wheel got bucked really hard. No crash, but hard enough to send my bottles flying. I really wanted to stay with that group because I knew once I lost those wheels it was basically all over. But on a day like yesterday I wouldn't have lasted long without those bottles.

Rounded them up, bent my cages a bit to hold things tighter and set about trying to get back on terms. Continued to feel pretty strong the rest of the day, but everyone else was just a bit stronger and in that heat its hard to really push yourself without a wheel to chase...at least for me.

This is probably it for the EFTA series for me but I am registered for the NH100 again this year...hopefully this heat breaks before then. Not sure I can take another day like the 100 last year.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSlav View Post

I hate heat. I prefer nice Belgian weather. I felt pretty strong yesterday though despite the heat but I yet again suffered another bottle incident that cost me. This season has been the year of 'can't quite put it all together' for me.

I was in a group of about 4-5 SS'ers through most of the first lap and things were going well. Heading down one of the faster, rocky descents. The one where all the lines were obscured by sun/shadows coming through the trees, my rear wheel got bucked really hard. No crash, but hard enough to send my bottles flying. I really wanted to stay with that group because I knew once I lost those wheels it was basically all over. But on a day like yesterday I wouldn't have lasted long without those bottles.

Rounded them up, bent my cages a bit to hold things tighter and set about trying to get back on terms. Continued to feel pretty strong the rest of the day, but everyone else was just a bit stronger and in that heat its hard to really push yourself without a wheel to chase...at least for me.

This is probably it for the EFTA series for me but I am registered for the NH100 again this year...hopefully this heat breaks before then. Not sure I can take another day like the 100 last year.
                      Trek is offering A/C on all their 2011 bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSlav View Post

I didn't think the heat was that bad, but i wasn't riding a SS

Comment

Originally posted by Tinshield View Post
                          Trek is offering A/C on all their 2011 bikes.
                          ooo A/C? That's perfect I can run it off the power supply I use for the motor I keep hidden in my bottom bracket....

Comment

Been a Great season thus far. Three races left for me "that I know of" The Glen, The 100, and the TVR. Jam packed August to say the least. This was my first year back to racing, and with five EFTA races, I have a solid 2nd place secured in Sport Vet II. Sounds like NEMBA is working on a second season with a more robust racing plan. I'm in for 2011. See some of you at Great Glen.

Comment

Been a Great season thus far. Three races left for me "that I know of" The Glen, The 100, and the TVR. Jam packed August to say the least. This was my first year back to racing, and with five EFTA races, I have a solid 2nd place secured in Sport Vet II. Sounds like NEMBA is working on a second season with a more robust racing plan. I'm in for 2011. See some of you at Great Glen.
                              I think you mean Sport Vet?

Comment

Who's ready for the 2011 race season? Burlingame isn't too far off and the race series will be kicking off shortly after that. Be on the look out for NEMBA racers at both the EFTA series and Root 66 in our flashy new kits:

Click image for larger version

Name:	83513e7d3cbe2bf7f623341641562591.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	13978

PK is working on a team profile for the next issue of SingleTracks and we're hoping to have a tent at most races so stop on by and say Hi

Comment

Working...
                                X