Ever bashed your knee on a rock?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever bashed your knee on a rock?

So I went over my bars last Tuesday and haven't been able to walk or ride without pain ever since. I slammed my knee cap really, really hard on a rock. The cap didn't dislocate from what I can tell. Anyone ever had this happen and if so, how long till I can ride again? I think I have a bone bruise...

The ladies love my new pimp limp but I gots to ride.

Re:Ever bashed your knee on a rock?

Its definitely a bruise to the metafecal carpal tendon, seen it a hundred times. Use ice for 10 mins, heat for 20 repeat 7 times the first day decreasing by 1% each day for the rest of the month, it will be fine...

Kidding!

Go to the doctor, knees are complicated and can't be diagnosed over the 'net.

That being said - if I hit my knees on anything <handlebars> I have trouble walking. Knee pads are my friends. And now that I'm wearing these ducky knee/shin protectors, my shins no longer look like I have some kind of skin condition. Scars are cool - scabbed wounds are not.

John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Comment

Lets see a couple weeks ago I went riding with my Wife and Son, why would I need knee pads I'm only going with them !!

Wrong -- Knee pads are good !

That is the last time I follow someone called "Splat" through a mud puddle. Bad omen.

Comment

Suck it up. That's hardly a scratch.

The bloody one's don't bother me too much. It those ear ringing bone on rock bruises that get me down.

Hey edge, have you actually tried riding? My knee hurts after running with my wife, but the low impact of peddling doesn't hurt at all. Of course, I suppose I could be ripping, tearing, and grinding my knee to ogre meal, but at least I'm on my bike.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

[quote author=catbbq link=board=8;threadid=7797;start=0#57570 date=1127993017]
          Suck it up. That's hardly a scratch.

The bloody one's don't bother me too much. It those ear ringing bone on rock bruises that get me down.

Hey edge, have you actually tried riding? My knee hurts after running with my wife, but the low impact of peddling doesn't hurt at all. Of course, I suppose I could be ripping, tearing, and grinding my knee to ogre meal, but at least I'm on my bike.
          [/quote]

Yeah, I tried riding but the pain sucks the fun out of my ride. There was no blood at all to your point. It was just a knee-meets-rock impact from aprox 4 ft. It's looking bigger today so I may have to see the doc so they can take a look. Damnit...

Comment

A friend of mine was out MXing in Moab, crashed and hit his knee on a rock. He waited and waited to go to the doc. He finally went, they did an MRI and found he had a cracked patella. OUCH! He was off the mtb for 8 weeks, back on the road bike after 6.

Similar symptoms though, pain and swelling and difficulty walking/bending.

John
            Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Comment

I have given my right knee about three good shots on rock now over the last 3-4 years. Had to go in and have it drained once..... So now if I am going someplace technical out come the pads. My doctor said essentially I am wearing them out : so I protect them! I am not friggin done with them yet! >.

Harry
              I am the designated sweep!

Comment

Jeez, can't you people stay on your bikes?

I often whack the side of my knee against my top tube. That smarts. I can't imagine bashing my knee on a rock. That's gotta be as bad as whacking yer nuts on something.
                "A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves." -some guy.

Comment

I am the unfortunate recipient of a broken knee cap from bashing a rock. I went to the ER, and they were unable to diagnose it so I dragged it around and skied on it in extreme pain until my wife force me to go to another Ortho and lo and behold the cap was broken in two places. If it does not get better, go to a doctor. I am finally better, but nine months later. Ice, rest and wear knee pads when you ride. My injury was preventable. I do not care what I look like, I wear knees and elbows to prevent what I consider to be the most painful injury I have every had(I have had five knee operations, and broken 20+ bones) so unfortunately I have a lot of experience with injury and pain.

Comment

I still can't believe it when I see people mountain biking without helmets. Perhaps It will someday satisfy my curiosity for what a bashed skull looks like. (no links to rotten.com please)
                    "A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves." -some guy.

Comment

i bashed my knee ( over the bars) against a flat rock the last week in July.
                      No blood, just swelled to about 3-4 times normal size. The swelling has gone down, but it's still about twice it's usual size and very tender...

Comment

[quote author=TrailBait link=board=8;threadid=7797;start=0#57588 date=1128000700]
                        I still can't believe it when I see people mountain biking without helmets. Perhaps It will someday satisfy my curiosity for what a bashed skull looks like. (no links to rotten.com please)
                        [/quote]

When I see people riding without helmets I try to steer clear off them. I feel If I see them bash there skull open them I'm responsible to help get them out of the woods. But I can 't help someone who I don't know is hurt. Meat helmets suck.

Comment

Juiceguy, go to a Doctor. That is not normal. Trust me, you are better off finding out that something is wrong now versus two months from now. Injuries suck, but they need to be treated or you will be a gimp when you are 50(or younger).

Comment

That's right boys - take care o'dem knees. I'm off the bike, off the skates, off the skis, and in pain just walking due to a torn meniscus and something called Chondromalacia Patellar, where the kneecap rubs too hard on the femur and tibia, and the cartilage on all 3 gets torn up and inflamed. I understand it can happen to a degree with the type of hits you guys are talking about too. It sux. My only hope is that surgery and a few months off will allow me a modicum of riding come Summer. Not Spring, Summer. Until then it's political rants and tv sports.

Comment

[quote author=TrailBait link=board=8;threadid=7797;start=0#57582 date=1128000096]
                              Jeez, can't you people stay on your bikes?

I often whack the side of my knee against my top tube. That smarts. I can't imagine bashing my knee on a rock. That's gotta be as bad as whacking yer nuts on something.
                              [/quote]

Hey! What are you doing out of the political forum! Get back before I get the holy water! ;D
                              I am the designated sweep!

Comment

Working...
                              X