New England Volcano Erupts!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New England Volcano Erupts!

An ancient volcano which has rested peacefully for thousands of years in Southern NH is gurgling with the prospect of major consequences.
    Local officials have been watching this crater closely for over two years and feel the time is right for activity. The first shattering of silence from this crater came just months ago and the intensity has been building since.

Experts believe this Sunday we will see the first part of the surface become exposed and major surface eruption should begin on May 22nd and last two full days.

Local authorities have indicated there is nothing to be concerned about and in fact are inviting the public to witness this fracture of the Earth's surface.

Of course your all welcome to grab a shovel, rake, pick mattock, rock bar or similar tool and help crack the surface, on the new 2.2 mile singletrack trail at this ancient volcano at Pawtuckaway State Park.

Yes it's true, the hot molten force which is about to erupt is known as the Seacoast Chapter of NEMBA! And we have permission to construct a new trail, laid out by cyclist, at the park. In fact we have applied for and received, by the State of NH Trails Board (great people), a grant for $4000.00 to help build the bridges, boardwalks and acquire tools required for the construction of this trail.

Pawtuckaway Mountain really is an ancient volcano, the park has three peaks, North, South and Middle Mountains which are in a semi-circle that make up the remaining high points opposite of where the lava once flowed.
    We will be working in the crater area and it is a unique part of the park which is quite amazing.

Lava Flow!
    The first eruption of activity will take place Sunday, April 25. Important Kick-off to this great new trail!

This is where it gets really good, mark your calendars!
    On the weekend of May 22/23 we are going hot molten lava! Two days of trail building to get this trail completed. Free camping Friday and Saturday nights for all volunteers. Ride after Saturdays work is done and a free BBQ Saturday night!
    It's shaping up to be a great time!

We are also planning two wrap up days in case we need them, June 6 and Sept 26.
    If we wrap up the trail construction prior to the Sept date I will offer to lead an epic on the 26th for all who helped make this trail a reality!

All trail dates will start at 9:00.
    Directions: Take 101 to exit 5, Raymond. Head north on 107, till it Tís at the Irving Gas and make a left. Look to make almost an immediate right onto 156. Take 156 for about a mile, be looking on your left for a big brown Pawtuckaway SP sign and make a left onto Mountain Rd. Follow Mountain Rd for 1 Ĺ - 2 mi. to the park entrance on your left. The main parking lot and headquarters will be to your right. We will meet there.

Leave a reply here if you have a question or are planning on attending so we know how many folks to plan for!

Re:New England Volcano Erupts!

What? Nobody liked my buildup?

Oh c'mon I worked on this one!

Comment

Great lead in Len!!!

Looks like the weather is going to be great for some trail work tomorrow...even looks like a cold night...maybe even kill off a few of the hatching biting bugs! ;D

Len, cince you asked , we can continue the lesson in geology...

Yes, Pawtuckaway, like all of the Granite State (NH ya know) has its roots in volcanoes. Granite is an intrusive igneous rock, meaning it was made from magma deep inside volcanically active areas. Our mountians here in NH used to be much higher...but several ice ages with huge glaciers and a few fundred million years have ripped away and eroded what was above the frozen magma (the granite) away...and we get to see the granite. There is also a lot of metamorphic rock in the area too, rock that was chemically changed due to great pressures and temperatures...and we see this in some of the rock around us...some of this action is visible in sections of the new trail.

OK, enough of that....

Comment

The Volcano has erupted!!!!!! and with grand style and results, THANK YOU to all the vollunteers that were there today we should all be proud of what we accomplished today!!!!!!!!!!!!! lots of familar faces, and lots of new ones we as crew leaders we're all impressed at what you all got done and it looks like the weekend of the 22/23 is gonna be a blast
        Thank you all again.
        NEMBA T/A

Comment

Thank you for allowing me to be a part of making geological history today. While the lava seems to be at a lull the need for more action became evident to me. I look forward to the May weekend and hope for another great turnout.

Comment

Great time yesterday!
            I learned how to do benching, lotsa fun!
            Can't wait til the May date.
            Anyone with pix from the event forward them to me for the website.
            email: dcook@phoenixcontrols.com
            OR zbadcook@verizon.net
            Southern NH NEMBA & My LBS & My Blog & Single Speed Alliance

Comment

Better yet, post the pics here and then we can link our faces and forum names.

Comment

A big Thank You to all who came out to crack the surface on the new trail! 30 people, wow! I am glad to have met so many on the forum (your secrets are safe with me, yea right!) and so many new friends, great time!

It is amazing how much we accomplished in just one day, this has to be one of the best crews I have worked with!

Still lots to do, but the May 22/23 weekend trail crew and party is shaping up to be a great time, free food, and party, wahoo!

Ok for those that were working on the benching; remember the steep hill, remember the singletrack line you created on that hill, think about what it's going to be like riding it and staring down the pitch of that hill! If you slip off the trail there is nothing to stop you but the sharp pointy rocks at the bottom!
                Should be a thrill to ride!

See you on the 22/23!

Comment

"remember the singletrack line you created on that hill, think about what it's going to be like riding it and staring down the pitch of that hill! If you slip off the trail there is nothing to stop you but the sharp pointy rocks at the bottom!"

You mean now I don't have to go to Lynn Woods to fall into sharp pointy rocks!
                  "I'll watch some TV, it'll help me to RELAX!" - Ren Hoek

Comment

I learned a lot about trail maintenance in one day. It was fun and hard work all at the same time. I never realized how much work goes into properly making a trail. I thought you just raked a path. But benching is much more than that, and erosion control is key for longevity. I can't wait to ride the finished product. Hope to get back to work some more on this trail.

Comment

Glad you folks had fun, and learned some, yes hard work but the reward is well worth it!

But I didn't catch who hookooekoo was, gonna have to quiz folks at the big weekend! Maybe we can do a "whats my line" type thing. Oh wait, your all to young to remember that one!

Comment

The hardest part will be finding a panel that can compare to the old one.

Comment

The Seacoast website has been updated (finally) with some pictures from the first trail building day.

Go to www.snemba.org
                          Southern NH NEMBA & My LBS & My Blog & Single Speed Alliance

Comment

T minus 18 and counting!
                            Winding up to the weekend of the 22/23.

The party is shaping up to be a great time.

Now if only we can get Soupy Sales! ;D

Comment

I 'm ready my friend, trail building, riding in an awesome state park with lots of challanging trails, FREE FOOD, cooked by two beautiful women, camping and free beer how can we go wrong????? ;D
                              NEMBA T/A

Comment

Working...
                              X