No announcement yet.

"Do-it-all" bike for 3K?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's gonna be a Rocky Mountain demo truck at the Great Brook Nemba MBAS in a few weekends. I would definitely check out the slayer (I'm not even in the market and I plan to take one out for a ride).

Comment

Originally posted by Anospa View Post
      There's gonna be a Rocky Mountain demo truck at the Great Brook Nemba MBAS in a few weekends. I would definitely check out the slayer (I'm not even in the market and I plan to take one out for a ride).
      One can only hope they have the new 2013 650B Altitude and 29'r Instinct. They both look amazing with some neat adjustablility and about every bell and whistle you could ask for.

Mojo 140 and Pivot Mach 5.7 mentioned above would be great choices but perhaps to much $$. Mojo 140 converts to 650B and hopefully Pivot makes a 650B version of the 5.7 which gets stellar reviews. Norco Sight won trailbike of the year in the UK. 2013 it gets 26" or 650B versions.

How about something like this http://www.sixfifty.com/category/bik...b_comp_17.aspx Lots of wiggle room on that price trust me. If you have any interest in a Jamis bike PM me for info on some better local pricing.

Comment

Even though I have become a 29er fan, I fully agree with Plummit. If the 66 is your bike, go hunt for a deal. Otherwise (In my experience) you might just want to upgrade in a year.

Comment

I just bought a Rocky Mountain Slayer 50. I love this bike. I feel like it climbs really well and bombs the descents. Huge upgrade from my Specialized Epic Pro. I ride everything from the flat type trails at big river to highland on this thing and it does not disappoint. Do yourself a favor and at least talk to the guys at Black Stone Bikes in Cumberland.

Comment

Learn about the angle of attack for the wheel while hitting trail risers and ruts. This is where 29ers shine. I used to ride both wheel sizes but I felt like I was riding a BMX going from my 29er to a 26. I couldn't stand the speed of a 26" bike while pedalling either. 29ers have made huge advancements in the past few years. Either way good luck because 3k should get you a great bike.

Comment

I rode a Mojo HD at the Ibis demo last weekend, and after riding that and a Pivot Pheonix, I can easily say my next bike is going to be a dw-link.

Just wait a bit longer and save some more pennies and get the bike you want?

Comment

I heard. I'm actually very interested in riding a new Altitude (650b). I hope they have a few to try.

Comment

I rode a Mojo HD at the Ibis demo last weekend, and after riding that and a Pivot Pheonix, I can easily say my next bike is going to be a dw-link.

Just wait a bit longer and save some more pennies and get the bike you want?
                  I wish. I have an agreed amount with my wife. I'd rather not sleep in the garage with my new bike, too. :-)

Comment

There's a nice sounding Niner RIP medium in the bikes for sale section

http://www.nemba.org/forums/showthre...d-dropper-post

Comment

I've seen some video of 29ers doing incredible things, but I agree if you're thinking lift served, there are probably better (26er) options. I know a few people on Bandit 29ers who used to ride Nomads and consider them analogous.

Check this out: https://vimeo.com/43775017
                      Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Comment

Originally posted by ktmdad View Post
                        There's a nice sounding Niner RIP medium in the bikes for sale section

http://www.nemba.org/forums/showthre...d-dropper-post
                        I know Al very well and ride with him often, I can tell you that bike has not been ridden hard, it has been babied and is one of several he rides.
                        Last edited by Jisch; September 8th, 2012, 10:27 AM.
                        Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Comment

Not sure if you plan on racing or not, but the epic 29er is a versatile bike. competitive race bike and great for endurance riding on tight NE trails.

Comment

So I did some test rides and discovered a few things. One, I am not really in the market for an enduro bike. I will be riding almost exclusivey XC, but I want something that will be fun on the way down. Two, I found that I really liked the feel of a 29er. Huh. So my list has been adjusted to say the least. I was able to test ride the Stumpy 29 and Tallboy on some very tame trails and I was able to take the Niner Jet 9, Yeti SB95 and Kona Satori around the block near a different shop. I really liked the slacker geometry of the Yeti and Kona but it wasn't a trail test ride. Plus, the Yeti is out of my price range I found the Tallboy (at 100mm) to be a tad more enjoyable than the Stumpy. I'd really like to compare them to their slacker brethren (Tallboy can be adjusted to 120, Tallboy LT and the Stumpy EVO). I'd still like to try a Transition Bandit 29, too. Is there anything else that you'd add to my list?

New list:
                            Stumpy Comp EVO 29
                            Tallboy at 120 (LT?)
                            Kona Satori - Any experience?? I really liked the geometry and it seemed to be spec'd well.

As for that Niner RIP 9, I am solidly in the Large size category.

Comment

Excellent choices! You might want to check out a Foes Shaver-29 http://foesracing.com/site/frames/shaver-29/ there is a dealer in Alton, NH(Likin' Bikin') http://www.likinbikin.com/.
                              Last edited by bikerdom; September 9th, 2012, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Wow, 2013 Stumpy Comp 29'r Evo like you mentioned is $3,300 MSRP. You should be able to get that for under your 3K limit IMO
                                140mm travel up front and 135 in back with 68 degree HA sounds super sweet to me. 142 axle in back and 20mm front, dropper post, ISCG mount, 22/33/bash yada yada yada. Lotta hits on the wish list for not a bad price.

Heard great things about the Satori and Bandit 29'rs also. Trek/GF line maybe as well????

Still it would be good if you could get a nice test ride in on a 29'r on trails you like to ride. Call some Spec. dealers and see who has a Test bike available to try out for a day. I'm 6' exact and the medium Comp 29'r felt pretty good for the 3 days I had it. I'll bet JRA in Medford has a Satori test bike you could try and Belmont Wheel Works just became a Transition dealer.

Comment

Working...
                                X