Rocks and more rocks!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocks and more rocks!

Please do not take this the wrong way. I am from New England but I lived in South Carolina for 6 years and then in Tennessee for another 6. The trails in South Carolina are pretty flat, smooth, and fast single track. Tennessee on the other hand is hilly and offers fast XC single track while still offering adventures for those who enjoy freeride or other disciplines. I am an old school XC rider that primarily rides a hardtail singlespeed. I have moved up to a geared steel hardtail (I'm a crazy guy!) but find the riding in the vicinity to be very rocky and not what I am used to or enjoy. Keep in mind, I have only been to a couple places in the area, Harold Parker, and Blue Hills. Are there trails locally that cater to the crusty old school XC rider? I will admit I am a fan of trails that would typically be used for an XC race. Call me boring, I can live with that! Can you help?

Thanks!

PC
    PC

Bike = Life

Harold Parker is pretty technical and from what I remember of Blue Hills there were lots of very rocky overly worn trails. If you want some less bumpy stuff give Great Brook in Carlisle a try, you can also add the trails at Russel Mill. These are fun places to ride with a bit less "challenge".

Comment

PC,
      You bet, where are you located? I think Land Locked (Burlington/Lexington MA) is probably going to be closest for fast singletrack - I typically ride a SS HT there. Great Brook is another spot where the trails are typically faster. I also think the Fells has gotten progressively easier whereas HP, LD, (most of) RM are still pretty difficult and you would something with some suspension in the back.

Anthony

Comment

Willowdale, Uxbridge, Duxbury Woods, Massasoit, Otis, Trail of Tears are all smoother/less rocky networks to ride in IMO.

Comment

+1 on willowdale.
          SS rule the dirt!

Comment

Willowdale, Cutler Park, and Landlocked Forest all come to mind - certain parts of Russell Mill are fairly gentle on the bounce factor, too.

It's not fancy riding, but the Rock Meadow/ Western Greenway ride is fairly smooth, too.
            blue Trek Fuel FS
            Red Subaru Forester

Comment

You're not getting you fill of XC goodness until you try Groton Town Forest. Granted, a logging project just finished up and some trails are still a mess (or non-existent for that matter), but there is plenty of swoopy, non-technical trails to satisfy most XC racers. The trails are super fast and have a nice flow to them.

The taint busting roots that are sprinkled virtually every 5-10ft will certainly keep you honest too.
              Slaphead Mofo Leisure Team
              Sunday River Bike Park

Comment

Thanks everyone. I was starting to think that there was no hope!
                PC

Bike = Life

Comment

Originally posted by agabriel View Post
                  PC,
                  You bet, where are you located? I think Land Locked (Burlington/Lexington MA) is probably going to be closest for fast singletrack - I typically ride a SS HT there. Great Brook is another spot where the trails are typically faster. I also think the Fells has gotten progressively easier whereas HP, LD, (most of) RM are still pretty difficult and you would something with some suspension in the back.

Anthony
                  Clue me in. I may be way wrong about this. Is there a way into Landlocked from the Minuteman Rail-trail?

Comment

MM Rail Trail

Originally posted by bikdav View Post
                    Clue me in. I may be way wrong about this. Is there a way into Landlocked from the Minuteman Rail-trail?
                    The Rail Trail is close, but you'd have to put in some pavement miles to reach Landlocked. Ya may be able to access Hartwell Ave....take it to the end and then ya can maybe ride the power lines to Landlocked. I dunno. It's gotta be a couple of miles if ya take that route.

Here's a map of the area:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ba...e&ved=0CAcQ_BI
                    Slaphead Mofo Leisure Team
                    Sunday River Bike Park

Comment

Add Rayburn , Singletary and Sutton WW to that list
                      That is the last time I follow someone called "Splat" through a mud puddle. Bad omen.

Comment

Originally posted by p_coutermarsh View Post
                        Please do not take this the wrong way. I am from New England but I lived in South Carolina for 6 years and then in Tennessee for another 6. The trails in South Carolina are pretty flat, smooth, and fast single track. Tennessee on the other hand is hilly and offers fast XC single track while still offering adventures for those who enjoy freeride or other disciplines. I am an old school XC rider that primarily rides a hardtail singlespeed. I have moved up to a geared steel hardtail (I'm a crazy guy!) but find the riding in the vicinity to be very rocky and not what I am used to or enjoy. Keep in mind, I have only been to a couple places in the area, Harold Parker, and Blue Hills. Are there trails locally that cater to the crusty old school XC rider? I will admit I am a fan of trails that would typically be used for an XC race. Call me boring, I can live with that! Can you help?

Thanks!

PC
                        Hey, I got into mountain biking in Southern California where's the trails are buff, fast and smooth. As it sounds you've discovered, riding in New England is almost a different sport. There are couple of spots that are more "flow-ey" as they say: Wompatuck, Willowdale, Russell Mill are places worth checking out. Blue Hills and Harold Parker are about as technical as they get around here.

Comment

Lynn Woods, Borderland, Foxboro........... you don't want to go to.

Comment

When in Rome!?

Comment

A 29er Steel Hard Tail is more than a Match for Harold Parker and Blue Hills and plenty of bike for even an XC oriented rider at just about every place in Massachusetts, with a few Notable exceptions. Just Saying, I'm not sure why you think these places aren't XC friendly. You might want to get a Full Suspension bike if the rocks of NE are a drag...a good dualie can real change one's opinion about what is smooth and what isn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X