No announcement yet.

Bigfoot, UFO's, Black Helicopters, etc in New England riding spots

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ride Freetown all the time, and I've done some solo night rides. I was taking 5 at the top of the ledge one night and ran into a guy with a rifle out "night hunting" (don't ask me how this is possible or remotely safe) It was a full moon. He told me a story about running into a group of wiccans out having some kind of ceremony with drums. Personally I was more freaked out by him just being out there with a gun.

There's definitely some weird **** has happened in Freetown. There used to be a strange stone pillar about 4 feet high. It had 3 sides and all 3 there were covered from top to bottom with alternating spray painted 6's and 9's. Like 6 9 6 9 6 9 running down the side. It marked a short singletrack that headed down to a small clearing. I'm not entirely sure, but I would guess it was the site of those satan worshipping rituals that went down in the 70's. Its gone now, and I can't even seem to find the spot where it used to be.

Another creepy spot is King Philips spring in the FR watershed part. Its kind of a neat little spring. There is some really old stonework surrounding the spring in an 8 shape. The top of the 8 has the spring and the bottom is just a little pool with steps going in. I'm guessing the bottom was for bathing, the top for drinking. There is also a very large flat stone nearby, could be used for preparing meals or as a table. I would guess this was used for thousands of years by native americans. Its a neat place but I get a very weird vibe there, like I'm unwelcome. Doesn't help that the trail its located off of is called dead man's trail. Oh yeah, King philip was betrayed and beheaded. His head sat up on a pike in the Taunton green for years to come as a reminder to remaining indians.

Sorry to throw fuel on the fire, but those of you who carry a gun on trails around here need to grow some balls, what are you afraid of? Coyotes? racoons? (Actually I think the scariest thing I've ever seen in the woods was a clearly rabid raccoon, wandering in circles in the middle of the day growling and making weird yelps) I think you watch too many movies. I'm all for gun rights but this isn't grizzly country people. I guess if you have a cool, expensive gun you've got to justify it somehow, but pulling it on an old lady, I mean come on, you're telling me you couldn't take down an old lady without a firearm?
    Last edited by icecreamjay; October 24th, 2011, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by icecreamjay View Post
      but pulling it on an old lady, I mean come on, you're telling me you couldn't take down an old lady without a firearm?
      Dude she had on sun glasses at night, sunglasses! Clearly she was super human! Lol lol lmao!
      ROCKHOPPERS RULE!!

Comment

Another creepy spot is King Philips spring in the FR watershed part. Its kind of a neat little spring. There is some really old stonework surrounding the spring in an 8 shape. The top of the 8 has the spring and the bottom is just a little pool with steps going in. I'm guessing the bottom was for bathing, the top for drinking. There is also a very large flat stone nearby, could be used for preparing meals or as a table. I would guess this was used for thousands of years by native americans. Its a neat place but I get a very weird vibe there, like I'm unwelcome.
        Where is this? PM if you like...Thanks

Comment

Sorry to throw fuel on the fire, but those of you who carry a gun on trails around here need to grow some balls, what are you afraid of? Coyotes? racoons? (Actually I think the scariest thing I've ever seen in the woods was a clearly rabid raccoon, wandering in circles in the middle of the day growling and making weird yelps) I think you watch too many movies. I'm all for gun rights but this isn't grizzly country people. I guess if you have a cool, expensive gun you've got to justify it somehow, but pulling it on an old lady, I mean come on, you're telling me you couldn't take down an old lady without a firearm?
          Since you decided to throw some fuel on the fire, here's the burn ( my response). I'm so glad that you decided to just throw out theories about me when one, you've never met me, and two, you know nothing about me.

1. I don't need to grow some balls, I can easily take of myself, my family, and my friends without firearms.
          2. What am I afraid of? Well for one, being out in the woods alone in the middle of the night and running into, the occasional poacher (like you did, I have as well), packs of homeless individuals (unfortuately there are 'tent cities' very close to the ST I ride), groups of young punks (doing who knows what in the woods), wolves (yes, wolves are in Massachusetts), jumping an occassional black bear (happened to me at least two times), knuckleheads wandering the woods in the middle of night (just once)......just to name a few.
          3. I think your comment about me is way off base concerning watching too many movies. I actually watch very little TV, some sports, and a lil news, that's about it. I'm glad you have facts to back up your assertion that I watch too many movies. I very rarely watch movies and haven't heard of a movie highlighting a gun totting mountain biker. Does sound like a perfect role for Mark Walberg, directed by Ben Afleck though.
          4. I don't have a cool, expensive gun and I don't feel I have to justify legally owning firearms by pulling them on anyone and anything. Most people I know have newer, flashier, more expensive bits on their bike than the firearm I occassionaly carry while riding.
          5. I agree with you that I could take down an older lady without a firearm
          6. Will I carry when I'm on a group ride at night with others? No way, no need to when I'm in a group.

To share a lil bit about myself, I work in the public safety field and my main goals are to assist the people I can when called upon, and to make it home to my family safely after every shift. Period! I've seen too many situations when seemingly good people are injured or worse because of either the careless, malicious, or foolish actions of others. My goal is to not become one of those statistics. I do what I need to do to protect myself and my family at all times..........Be it, staying in the best shape I can, working out, being up to date on close combat techniques and yes, sometimes legally carrying firearms.

In closing, I respect your opinions and thoughts. I respectfully disagree with most of them, but nonetheless, you have your right to your opinion. The one thing I ask before the next time you offer a public assumption about someone or a situation is, to make sure you have some facts to back up your opinion(s).

I wonder how many out there thought I was going to come out 'guns blazing' on Icecreamjay? No, I'm not a Kool Aid drinker who will just spit the generic NRA speech about the right to bear arms, blah, blah, blah, I chose to provide Icecreamjay with some insight, facts, and reasons as to why I make the decision(s) I do to protect myself when I'm out in the woods alone at night. I just told the story, he offered his opinions about me.

My main goal with this response was to defend myself against some inaccurate accusations. I could've come out 'guns blazing', shooting back, ripping on someone, being disrespectful to someone I don't know, making assumptions about someone I don't know, etc.. but I'll leave that to others. End of conversation in my book.

Rip it up out there!
          Last edited by antmav; October 25th, 2011, 01:24 AM.
          Slaphead Mofo Leisure Team
          Sunday River Bike Park

Comment

BS - you were scared that googly-eyed old lady was gonna f you up.
            Slapheadmofo Leisure Team
            Sinister Bikes
            Wachusett Brewing
            Sunday River Bike Park

Comment

Originally posted by Slappy View Post
              BS - you were scared that googly-eyed old lady was gonna f you up.
              I was scared I couldn't clip out fast enough to unleash a KillCrush back-kick.
              Sunday River Bike Park

Comment

I wish my mountain biking more resembled Mortal Kombat, too.
                blue Trek Fuel FS
                Red Subaru Forester

Comment

Sorry, but as a former Marine with heavy firearm training, and someone who has watched a human die from an accidental firearm discharge, I think Icecreamjs statement was valid.

As you stated, you pulled a pistol and rode with it, on a bike, with your adrenalin pumping. You, someone who works in public safety, was flying around a public trail at night scared out of your mind with a loaded pistol in your hand (round in the chamber? I hope not). What if you bumped into me while I was taking a piss with my light off by the side of trail?

So, sorry to single you out here, but your story makes me scared to ride at night. Not because of old ladies, but because there might be a freaked out trigger happy mountain biker ripping around singletrack in a panic with a loaded pistol in hand.

Originally posted by antmav View Post
                  Since you decided to throw some fuel on the fire, here's the burn ( my response). I'm so glad that you decided to just throw out theories about me when one, you've never met me, and two, you know nothing about me.

1. I don't need to grow some balls, I can easily take of myself, my family, and my friends without firearms.
                  2. What am I afraid of? Well for one, being out in the woods alone in the middle of the night and running into, the occasional poacher (like you did, I have as well), packs of homeless individuals (unfortuately there are 'tent cities' very close to the ST I ride), groups of young punks (doing who knows what in the woods), wolves (yes, wolves are in Massachusetts), jumping an occassional black bear (happened to me at least two times), knuckleheads wandering the woods in the middle of night (just once)......just to name a few.
                  3. I think your comment about me is way off base concerning watching too many movies. I actually watch very little TV, some sports, and a lil news, that's about it. I'm glad you have facts to back up your assertion that I watch too many movies. I very rarely watch movies and haven't heard of a movie highlighting a gun totting mountain biker. Does sound like a perfect role for Mark Walberg, directed by Ben Afleck though.
                  4. I don't have a cool, expensive gun and I don't feel I have to justify legally owning firearms by pulling them on anyone and anything. Most people I know have newer, flashier, more expensive bits on their bike than the firearm I occassionaly carry while riding.
                  5. I agree with you that I could take down an older lady without a firearm
                  6. Will I carry when I'm on a group ride at night with others? No way, no need to when I'm in a group.

To share a lil bit about myself, I work in the public safety field and my main goals are to assist the people I can when called upon, and to make it home to my family safely after every shift. Period! I've seen too many situations when seemingly good people are injured or worse because of either the careless, malicious, or foolish actions of others. My goal is to not become one of those statistics. I do what I need to do to protect myself and my family at all times..........Be it, staying in the best shape I can, working out, being up to date on close combat techniques and yes, sometimes legally carrying firearms.

In closing, I respect your opinions and thoughts. I respectfully disagree with most of them, but nonetheless, you have your right to your opinion. The one thing I ask before the next time you offer a public assumption about someone or a situation is, to make sure you have some facts to back up your opinion(s).

I wonder how many out there thought I was going to come out 'guns blazing' on Icecreamjay? No, I'm not a Kool Aid drinker who will just spit the generic NRA speech about the right to bear arms, blah, blah, blah, I chose to provide Icecreamjay with some insight, facts, and reasons as to why I make the decision(s) I do to protect myself when I'm out in the woods alone at night. I just told the story, he offered his opinions about me.

My main goal with this response was to defend myself against some inaccurate accusations. I could've come out 'guns blazing', shooting back, ripping on someone, being disrespectful to someone I don't know, making assumptions about someone I don't know, etc.. but I'll leave that to others. End of conversation in my book.

Rip it up out there!

Comment

Not to mention, he was probably all likkered up on the 'shine too!
                    WTF is the world coming too?!?!?!
                    Slapheadmofo Leisure Team
                    Sinister Bikes
                    Wachusett Brewing
                    Sunday River Bike Park

Comment

Nobody likes a Sloppy Drunk...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_CJsTC1o-E
                      If you didn't build the trail, don't mess with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Chocula View Post
                        As you stated, you pulled a pistol and rode with it, on a bike, with your adrenalin pumping. You, someone who works in public safety, was flying around a public trail at night scared out of your mind with a loaded pistol in your hand (round in the chamber? I hope not)....

.... trigger happy mountain biker ripping around singletrack in a panic with a loaded pistol in hand.
                        Did I miss something? When did this dude say he was biking with a gun in his hand? Jesus Chirst, what type of Grand Theft Auto-playin' retard would attempt that?

One of us missed something....
                        blue Trek Fuel FS
                        Red Subaru Forester

Comment

but pulling it on an old lady, I mean come on, you're telling me you couldn't take down an old lady without a firearm?
                          For everyone who has an opinion.............READ MY POST AGAIN. Where does it say I drew down on her????????? Huh? Where? Please stop with the foolish assumptions.

To quote Count Chocula " As you stated, you pulled a pistol and rode with it, on a bike, with your adrenalin pumping So, sorry to single you out here, but your story makes me scared to ride at night. Not because of old ladies, but because there might be a freaked out trigger happy mountain biker ripping around singletrack in a panic with a loaded pistol in hand."

To clarify, never stated I pulled out a pistol and rode with this pulled out pistol on a bike. And for you to make an assumption that I'm a freaked out trigger happy mountain biker with a loaded pistol in hand is just pure ignorance.................or it displays an inability to read and comprehend.

Hey, you're a Marine (there'e no such thing as a former Marine) andyou have my upmost respect and appreciation for your Service. I'm sorry you had to witness someone dying from an accidential discharge, but you must admit that would have been damn diffiuclt, if not nearly impossible for a firearm to discharge, after reading the following:
                          Was the chamber loaded-No
                          Was the Safety on at all times- Yes
                          Was the firearm ever taken out of holster-No

C'mon, enough already.

I'm done with this, done.
                          Last edited by antmav; October 26th, 2011, 10:09 PM.
                          Sunday River Bike Park

Comment

Wait, did I just read that you actually shot her??? And then ran her over with 2.35 downhilll tires?

Comment

Maybe boston.com is watching these forums to pick up items on a slow news day ... http://www.boston.com/travel/explore...ater_triangle/.

Comment

Wait, you laid out a steamer on the dead corpse of the old lady after you did a brake stand on her, post-shooting?

`Kay, I'm done, too.
                                blue Trek Fuel FS
                                Red Subaru Forester

Comment

Working...
                                X