Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waterville valley

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Waterville valley

    A friend of mine was telling me to ride the Waterville valley resort area. Has anyone tried it before? I'm looking for somewhere that I can ride and my wife and 11 yr old daughter can have something to do ( they don't ride).

  • #2
    If they're still running lift service there's some pretty good trails for all levels of riders. They've had lots of re-routes due to developments recently. I was last up there four years ago. The guy who runs or ran the lifts is married to a pro DH racer. They had maps of the trails. They use the cross country ski trails after you get off the lift. If I remember Elephant Run is for a little more advanced riders. I'd give them a ring on the phone. Old link is gone here's a new one http://www.waterville.com/summer-pla...chairlift.html
    Last edited by bikerdom; October 2nd, 2012, 12:45 PM. Reason: Link replaced

    Comment


    • #3
      Waterville is nice for brining the family. I would never think of going there for real DH, but they do a great kid/non-rider friendly cruiser off the lift (Livermore road) and if you stay in the valley (we like the Black Bear Lodge) the lodging comes with a bunch of free passes for a couple hour bike rental, a chairlift ride, paddle boats etc. Bunch of nice easy XCish stuff around the resort area, maps at the bike shop, everything is walking distance, very scenic. You can put together some serious backcountry-style XC rides in the area on some of the hiking trails and dirt roads out there, just be prepared to be in the middle of nowhere by yourself, riding hard. (Sing out if you want some more details).

      Definitely check out Jiminy Peak also. TONs of stuff at the base to do (alpine slide, mountain coaster, etc) and they run the lower lift til dark, so it's easy to do some family time plus get some riding in. Not up on the details for XC, tho I know they did the Pedrosfest in the area for years, but if you're looking DHing, Jiminy is leaps and bounds (and more leaps) beyond Waterville. Bit pricier, specially for the activities, but it's also nice.
      Slapheadmofo Leisure Team
      Sinister Bikes
      Wachusett Brewing
      Sunday River Bike Park

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm going up at the end of August with my family. The website makes it sound family friendly. My wife mainly does fire roads and my son (7y.o.) is a little more adventurous but definitely not hardcore. condo's are cheap this time of year and there is a lot to do there and in the surroinding area (would recommend a trip to Sx Gun City and Clark's trading post).

        I'll try to remember to post up after our trip.

        Comment


        • #5
          A little help

          There is a ton of stuff just outside the valley, right off rt 49, Sandwich notch rd. I can't be spefic because I usually am following in a group. Sorry. Check out http://rhinobikeworksnh.com/ in Plymouth they are very helpful. Also, if you have the kids the Gyro trial in Plymouth would be a blast for them. There is also fox park in Plymouth.

          The valley has some nice intermidate trails and the lift access off of Snows mountain is limited but still fun & cheap.

          Comment


          • #6
            Waterville Valley

            I have ridden there many times, and it is a good place for the family. The majority of the bike trails are the cross country skiing trails. As such, and since it's in the mountains it does have some climbs, like up the back side of Snow's Mountain, or up from the Town Center to the WV main ski area.

            However, you can make a route that is relatively flat if the family wants one, more or less along the streams that run through. Best place to enter these trails is on the road to the left after the tennis courts.

            Snow's is lift serviced and technically a downhill route, but doesn't really compare with other lift serviced venues in variety, challenge, etc. It pretty much just goes down the beginner ski hill.

            There's a nice little town center, easy to walk around, and stuff for kids to do. The gym and pool there are also quite nice and generally are included with condo rentals.

            Have fun.

            Comment


            • #7
              points of interest

              Mad River Tavern off 49 excellant food
              Sugar shack off 175 gaint breakfast
              The Stix off 49 great breakfast but takes for ever
              Mad River Coffee 49 across from D & D way better
              Sunset Grille off 49 is hit or miss
              William Tell off 49 is the only 4 star returant around
              The owl's nest CC is pretty good


              Really not impressed with anything in the valley
              The coyote grille smells like a pool

              There is a new italian resturant off 3 heading to woodstock that I have heard good things about

              The woodstock Inn is my favorite choice. The downstairs bar has the best service. I love the pigsear beer as well as the homemade rootbeer

              Comment


              • #8
                I ride in "the valley" alot and you should find the xc ski trails family friendly. If you are looking for some tough classic New England trails check out the Smart's Brook area. The trail head is on rt. 49 just past Sandwich Notch Road. Stop in at Rhino Bike Works in Plymouth and get trail info. The shop ride goes up there sometimes so Eric, Slade or Mike should be able to send you in the right direction there. They can tell you about the other trails in the area as well....

                Comment


                • #9
                  I am headed to waterville valley this weekend with the family. Besides just going to the mountain and doing the lift served riding, any other suggestions? Something that does not use the car, that I can ride straight from our condo.
                  Also, my 7 year old likes to ride. Is there any easy dirt road riding to recommend with him? Or smooth singletrack. He likes riding.
                  Thanks!
                  Resurrecting an old thread. I thought something might have changed in the last two years.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    WValley Riding

                    Originally posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
                    I am headed to waterville valley this weekend with the family. Besides just going to the mountain and doing the lift served riding, any other suggestions? Something that does not use the car, that I can ride straight from our condo.
                    Also, my 7 year old likes to ride. Is there any easy dirt road riding to recommend with him? Or smooth singletrack. He likes riding.
                    Thanks!
                    Resurrecting an old thread. I thought something might have changed in the last two years.
                    I think my old post is still relevant, so ride from the village past the tennis courts and take a left. Trails are off to the left and right. There are also trails off many of the roads there.

                    I'd go to the village center and stop in at the bike shop if I were you.

                    Here's a link to their site on the issue.
                    http://www.waterville.com/summer-pla...er-biking.html

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Is there a map of the trails somewhere online?

                      Originally posted by ic View Post
                      I think my old post is still relevant, so ride from the village past the tennis courts and take a left. Trails are off to the left and right. There are also trails off many of the roads there.

                      I'd go to the village center and stop in at the bike shop if I were you.

                      Here's a link to their site on the issue.
                      http://www.waterville.com/summer-pla...er-biking.html

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        They also have a an outdoor skatepark, so bring along the boards/scooters if the kids are into that stuff too. They sometimes try to keep bikes out when skate camp is going on, but pretty sure that's all done for the season now.
                        Most of the trails are pretty tame; you guys can have a good time exploring around the valley and up off lower Livermore Rd. Livermore is also a really mellow way down if you take the lift up for a run (you get one free lift ride if you're renting a room in the Valley). Top part is a little rocky, but my son had no problem w/ it when he was 4. Really pretty up there too.
                        Slapheadmofo Leisure Team
                        Sinister Bikes
                        Wachusett Brewing
                        Sunday River Bike Park

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          New link as the old one I posted is gone. http://www.waterville.com/summer-pla...chairlift.html

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Off topic, but you can also hike Tecumsah, a handsome spire-type peak that you can admire afterwards from the valley. Also ski-fanatics (at the 93 exit) rents kayaks & drops you point to point There is a nice run south on the Pemi ending back at Ski-fanatics. Good colors and rope swings if you are bold enough to jump in. Youth appropriate. Get a double kayak if you have a real little one. Investigate Sandwich notch for a bike ride. My kids are older, but one of our favorite memories from the WV village was sitting in the family van watching 3 black bears dumpster dining.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thanks. I will check the Tecumsah hike. My kids are too little to kayak in October. 2,6,7 years old.
                              I will get a half day or so to go riding off by myself, and I want to optimize it, not search around on some old rutted snowmobile trails.

                              Originally posted by Mr Magoo View Post
                              Off topic, but you can also hike Tecumsah, a handsome spire-type peak that you can admire afterwards from the valley. Also ski-fanatics (at the 93 exit) rents kayaks & drops you point to point There is a nice run south on the Pemi ending back at Ski-fanatics. Good colors and rope swings if you are bold enough to jump in. Youth appropriate. Get a double kayak if you have a real little one. Investigate Sandwich notch for a bike ride. My kids are older, but one of our favorite memories from the WV village was sitting in the family van watching 3 black bears dumpster dining.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X