DH at Diamond Hill State Park, RI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DH at Diamond Hill State Park, RI

Here is a short video of one of the new trails at Diamond Hill State park in Cumberland, RI.

We have permission to build DH/FR stuff here and we are hoping to get a lot done in the next year.

http://vimeo.com/33290510
    Last edited by Elsinore; January 25th, 2012, 01:38 PM.

Nice! Looks fun - my brother lives down the street, will have to check it out some day. Are there trails to pedal up as well?

Also - do you know the story of the Diamond Hill monster? When I was a wee one (MANY years ago), I went to school on the other side of the hill and there were many tales of a strange creature that roamed that hillside.

Comment

Diamond Hill will be undoubtedly a mecca of trails. The DH ones are superb - videos show no detail or justice to them. There are presently three awesome runs now and many more to come as well as XC. Lincoln Woods in RI is also amazing - about a dozen short wicked fun DH runs and XC as well. If I may say, it is amazing you can build more trails in them with the town/state land managers permission and encouragement, than you can at our own NEMBA Vietnam property. That's a fact. The Vietnam land lords are very clicky in what/who builds there.
      When the resorts are closed - and far away - these two places are perfect and worth the travel in getting your DH/FR/AM fix.

Comment

The Vietnam trail crew usually has some tuesday night trail work going on in the warmer months. I'm sure they will welcome your help with a shovel or rake.
        Last edited by leebo; January 27th, 2012, 02:51 PM.
        SS rule the dirt!

Comment

Helped out a few times up there, just saying , trying to get anything new in takes a lot of red tape with the crew - two trails in how many years? - just connect the dots - the natural tech features and you can piece together some sweet trails.

Comment

So their not building the trails how you like? Maybe you can discuss. In my chapter( North Shore) the people who show up and work on a regular basis, get some input on how the work goes. Usually there are constraints on wetlands, slope, drainage, other trails and natural features. Often times we are fixing braids, and poorly designed or eroded trails. Have you had a chance to attend some of the NEMBA/ IMBA trail schools?
            SS rule the dirt!

Comment

Originally posted by xxxcore View Post
              If I may say, it is amazing you can build more trails in them with the town/state land managers permission and encouragement, than you can at our own NEMBA Vietnam property. That's a fact. The Vietnam land lords are very clicky in what/who builds there.

Helped out a few times up there, just saying , trying to get anything new in takes a lot of red tape with the crew - two trails in how many years? - just connect the dots - the natural tech features and you can piece together some sweet trails.
              Only 2 trails? Actually there are 3 and there is another in the works. As you know, we are a completely volunteer run organization and maintaining the existing trails takes up a large amount of our time. What we accomplish is directly proportional to the amount of help we receive. Lately, the help has been largely just the committee members and a few dedicated regulars. Most of which have busy family lives and are pretty burnt out as far as trailwork goes and hearing comments like yours really bothers the hard working individuals who come out every week to fix braids, repair senseless ruts caused during muddy rides and tear down poorly built rogue stunts built by riders who think they are helping but don't show up for regular trail days. It's a thankless job but we do it for one reason...we love to ride as much as you do. Unfortunately, riding and maintaining these trails comes at a price and that price is sacrificing some of our time so everybody can enjoy the trails.

Enough of that...we appreciate that you've come out for trailwork and hope that you will again. We value yours and anybody else's ideas about the trails at Vietnam. Any time you'd like to share your ideas, please feel free to contact me or the committee directly or drop by on a Tuesday night.

Oh, and sorry to further derail this thread about some great looking trails I hope to ride someday.

Mike (MdecristofaroATgmailDOTcom) or nemba-vlmc@googlegroups.com
              The Brute Squad

Comment

Elsinore,

Where is this trial. I hike Diamond hill with my dogs all the time and have never come across it? I go to the part of the park where the soccer and baseball fields are and hike up the hill from there. I have never been to the part of the park that is across the street, the side if the street the Ice Cream machine is on.

Comment

ttucker - yes they ARE NOT at the park itself where everyone goes - they are across the street. Unload at the Park and CROSS the street, on the LEFT of the Ice Cream Machine is a Vet Clinic and a small access ROAD - go down that road - it is not a private drive. You'll see the boom gate, go through and pedal up past the stone wall - on your right is the trail that will intersect two of the DH runs. All three lead off from the same start. Have Fun.

Comment

Thanks xxxcore! Funny. I bring my dogs to that vet and have never noticed the access road...

Comment

rode there today for the first time. rode all 3 trails multiple times. nice work guys, trails are a lot of fun

Comment

The DH trails out at Diamond Hill State Park in Cumberland, RI are getting better and better. Two more are in the pipe line, with one of them 50% completed. That will be five DH trails. All can be ridden with an all mountain rig, but most guys use a DH bike. On Wednesday evenings (around 5:30 or when you can make it) trail work is being done on the existing and new trails. We had a great crew accomplish much last time. Please join us if you can or just come out to check out and ride the trails. Later on, XC trails will also be established. Please check out the web site: http://www.facebook.com/groups/DOWNHILLER/

Comment

I think we ran into you guys a few weeks ago as we were heading out. I had my dog with me. I will definitely try to get there for a trail building evening and try to bring some other people too. Again, nice work!

I hope the trails don't get ruined by the motocross/ATV crowd. It looked like one of the jumps at the bottom of the "middle" trail was hit by a dirt bike.
                          Last edited by noskills; May 1st, 2012, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Is this the Diamond Hill park on Rte 114? Just looking for some more riding areas to take road trips to from NH. Anyone care to share?

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheMend View Post
                              Is this the Diamond Hill park on Rte 114? Just looking for some more riding areas to take road trips to from NH. Anyone care to share?
                              yes, 114. also, from earlier post in this thread:

"yes they ARE NOT at the park itself where everyone goes - they are across the street. Unload at the Park and CROSS the street, on the LEFT of the Ice Cream Machine is a Vet Clinic and a small access ROAD - go down that road - it is not a private drive. You'll see the boom gate, go through and pedal up past the stone wall - on your right is the trail that will intersect two of the DH runs. All three lead off from the same start. Have Fun."

Comment

Working...
                              X