Otis Trails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Otis Trails

I have been reading the posts on trail advocacy and the cooperation between MEMBA and local groups, I wish that was happening here on Cape Cod. Years ago most of the Otis Trail property was privately owned. The original trails were made by three friends of mine who rode dirt bikes. Long before there was any thought of a mountain bike.
    Times change My friends grew up, sold their dirt bikes and had families. The property the trails start on before going back to the MMR was sold to Mass Wildlife. It is now part of the Francis A. Crane Wildlife management area and has been for years. New trails have been cut without the permission of the land owner, Mass Wildlife. Several years after the property was purchased a sign was put up to let every one know this was a Wildlife management area and open to hunting and fishing. I witnessed a rider after his ride pull a hand gun and put three holes in the sign. Later the sign was torn down and not by Mass Wild life.
    Wildlife management areas are purchased only with the money from hunting and other license money collected by Mass Wildlife not one tax dollar went onto the purchase. A few years ago I tried to find if there was a local group of riders who would form a working relationship with Mass Wildlife I visited bike shops and talked to riders at the trail head. For my efforts the best I got was shrugged shoulders. I also got the attitude we were here first they can **&%$$#@$. The best was when I stopped in a shop, now closed and was chased out by the owner screaming and threatening.
    Sure, There is one in every group. It seems the riders of the Otis trails have more than their fair share.
    Next time you ride the Otis trails notice the abandoned trails, the rutting, the erosion and the absolute lack of any wildlife.
    Come on NEMBA get involved down here. This is your big black eye. Though I don't ride any more I'd be willing to help and give your representative an introduction to the Southeast Director of Mass Wildlife.

The Otis trails are a lot of fun and have been enjoyed by many different types of trail users for decades. It's unusual to ride there and not see others, dog walkers, runners, hikers and fellow cyclists out on the trails. The local chapter of NEMBA, Cape Cod NEMBA has long been involved with the trails at Otis. On a number of occasions I have been present when CC NEMBA members have been out on the trails removing deadfalls and clearing encroaching underbrush. Have you contacted them?

Comment

Bill, It's not up to me to contact CC NEMBA It's their responsibility under the law to have a permit from Mass Wildlife to do any work on a Wild life Management Area (WMA). Next time you are out there to work, ask to see their permit from Mass Wildlife (MFW) to do the work. Removing dead falls and clearing encroaching underbrush is the ILLEGAL without that written and signed permit. Courtesy and respect for the land owner their rules and the law seems of no matter to CC NEMBA

Comment

Originally posted by Jim H View Post
        Courtesy and respect for the land owner their rules and the law seems of no matter to CC NEMBA
        That is a bold statement. How do you know that CC NEMBA has worked without permission? For that matter how do you know that the mountain bike activity has cause all the damage you mention. There are many motorized users of that area and little to no enforcement of the rules.

Comment

A few years ago I tried to find if there was a local group of riders who would form a working relationship with Mass Wildlife I visited bike shops and talked to riders at the trail head. For my efforts the best I got was shrugged shoulders. I also got the attitude we were here first they can **&%$$#@$. The best was when I stopped in a shop, now closed and was chased out by the owner screaming and threatening.
          It seems the riders of the Otis trails have more than their fair share.
          Next time you ride the Otis trails notice the abandoned trails, the rutting, the erosion and the absolute lack of any wildlife.
          Come on NEMBA get involved down here. This is your big black eye. Though I don't ride any more I'd be willing to help and give your representative an introduction to the Southeast Director of Mass Wildlife.
          Am I the only one out here that questions Jim H.'s intentions?

I'm puzzled by the following:
          1. "It seems the riders of the Otis trails have more than their fair share." ???????????
          2. "Come on NEMBA get involved down here. This is your big black eye." ???????????
          3. "Next time you ride the Otis trails notice the abandoned trails, the rutting, the erosion and the absolute lack of any wildlife." ?????????

Granted, I wasn't at any of the bike shops this guy visited, or at the trailhead where he tried to recruit volunteers to meet with Mass Wildlife, but after reading two of this guy's posts I think my response probably would've landed somewhere between shrugged shoulders and chasing him while screaming too.

Beware!!!!!!!
          Slaphead Mofo Leisure Team
          Sunday River Bike Park

Comment

Funny, I got the same vibe, so I did a little research.

The Francis Crane purchase took place in 1958.
            Exactly how long before that were the dirt bike trails cut (with permission from the Crane family, of course)? Cuz I'd be pretty surprised if a WMA let a bunch of locals cut moto trails on one of their properties. Wonder if those guys still have copies of their 'permits'? 'A few years' after that, there was a biker there shooting at signs. He was riding a 1962 Stumpjumper.

Unless I'm missing something or he's wrong about who owns this parcel, it sounds to me like this guy's buddies went out back in the day and 'illegally' cut a bunch of trails and rode them for years on this property, and now he's goes around complaining about people doing maintenance on them.

I also gonna assume you can chalk the lack of wildlife up to the fact that the area is a highly contaminated superfund site moreso than blame it on a few people moving sticks around. But that's just me.

Another shrug.
            Last edited by Slappy; January 27th, 2012, 09:49 AM.
            Slapheadmofo Leisure Team
            Sinister Bikes
            Wachusett Brewing
            Sunday River Bike Park

Comment

Not a bold statement at all Cranky. A group I work with does volunteer our time and money to clear deadwood and encroaching under brushwork on that same WMA. We have a working relationship with MFW Southeast. They have no idea there even is a CC NEMBA. All they know is that that section and others of their WMA is used by mountain bikers. There is no problem with that. All WMAs in Mass are designated Multi use. You can do almost anything you want there within the law. Altering terrain,removing vegitation and riding motor vehicles without a permit from the director of MFW Is unlawful. It is my hope CC NEMBA will start doing things above board on the Otis trails and truly get involved.

As to enforcement There are only three Environmental officers on duty on Cape Cod. Neither they nor local authorities can move to action unless informed. 1 800-632-8075 This is the number for Mass Environmental police. Report motor vehicles on our WMA. Here's a dig. You should know that number. It was on the sign I mentioned before that was shot up and torn down by users of the Otis Trails.

Are you a member of CC NEMBA? Is anyone, does it really exist? If so they should call 508-759-3406. That is the number of MFW Southeast office. Ask for the director and introduce yourself. The days of the renegade mountain biker have to be over to keep the trails open

Comment

Slappy' you missed the time line in the ownership of the section of the Otis trails. When the trails were first cut by the dirt bikes this area from Rt 28 to Proprietors road was privately owned. Not by the Crane family. It was purchased later in sections at first then totally by MFW around 2000. At that date it was added to the original 1958 purchase.

Comment

"The best was when I stopped in a shop, now closed and was chased out by the owner screaming and threatening."

(Shakes head) I think this pretty much paints a clear picture of who we're dealing with here. Anyone else ever get chased out of a store? ha-ha Moving on.....

Comment

It sounds like your saying that the land owner is threatening to close the trails because they're upset that mountain bikers are clearing deadfall from them without permits, though it's perfectly fine to ride there?

And you think moving fallen limbs off the trail is 'disrespectful'?

Uhhh..okay...
                    Last edited by Slappy; January 27th, 2012, 03:40 PM.
                    Slapheadmofo Leisure Team
                    Sinister Bikes
                    Wachusett Brewing
                    Sunday River Bike Park

Comment

It is my hope CC NEMBA will start doing things above board on the Otis trails and truly get involved. The days of the renegade mountain biker have to be over to keep the trails open
                      I have a few more comments and few questions.

1. NEMBA members are 'above board' and are quite active in the area riding, maintaining and building sustainable trails.
                      2. If by chance there are renegade mountian bikers out there on the Cape, they do not in any way, shape, or form affect the postive work and relationships MANY NEMBA members have been involved with, and established, over the years.
                      3. Local trails will continue to remain open to mountain bike access because of the relationships we've (NEMBA) established, the work we do, and how we treat the land we've been so fortunately allowed to access.

Now my questions:
                      1. Do you live in Westminister?
                      2. Do you mind if us mountain bikers (we) eat stream trout?

Just asking...............
                      Slaphead Mofo Leisure Team
                      Sunday River Bike Park

Comment

Slappy, I believe I am perfectly capable of stating what I mean without your telling me what you think it sounds like. At no time did I ever intimate that the land owner MFW has any thought of closing the trails. To the contrary I stated that all WMAs were open to multi use and this includes non motorized off road biking.

I don't THINK moving fallen limbs off a trail is disrespectful. On a WMA I Know it is unlawful with out a permit. I however am not talking about moving a stick here or there.

Comment

antmav, I live two minutes from the Otis Trail head. Iv'e caught brook trout, rainbows, brown, even hybrid tiger trout. If ya'll are having a fish fry give a call.

To your comments: First, second and third, NEMBA's Good name has been Hijacked by someone who call's them selves the Cape Cod NEMBA. This was the point of my original posting. CC NEMBA has ignored the Land owners of the Otis trails as well as the Barnstable owners of the Trail Of Tears. There has been no relationship established between CC NEMBA and the owners of the property trails go through down here. If you come from off Cape to ride these trails you may think CC NEMBA is doing a great job. You may want to check with Mass Wildlife Southeast division and Barnstable Dept. of Natural resourses. You won't get a positive reaction if any at all.

Comment

What exactly is your issue with CC NEMBA? Otis does not belong to them and I am fairly certain that no members of the CC NEMBA are shooting up signs there. If you are that moved to do some good and are reaching out to NEMBA to help, perhaps you might think about joining the CC chapter and proving some ideas and suggestions. Just a thought.
                            2011 Misfit DiSSent 1 x 10
                            2011 9:zero:7 fatbike
                            Surly Karate Monkey rigid s/s

Comment

JBH, I will ask you as I asked Slappy, are you a member of CC NENBA? Does CC NEMBA even exist?

What more suggestions should I offer, than those Iv'e offered here.

Comment

Working...
                              X